New PC

Skinn 00:04 24 Dec 04

I have bought a new PC and need to transfer loads of emails from Outlook Express and Word documents and have the following questions:

Which is the best way to check that it contains exactly what the spec. says it does?
What is the easiest way to transfer the emails?
I have Word 97 on my old Windows 98SE PC – is this compatible with Windows XP? If so, should I just copy all of the Word documents onto a CD, install Word 97 and then copy the CD contents into My Documents?

Thanks in advance for any help.

THE TERMINATOR 00:46 24 Dec 04

Yes office97 is compatable with XP.
Sys Info:START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>SYSTEM INFORMATION (for your XP pc)

As far as your files are concerned, if you have a CD writer then you have the best medium.

backup ALL your files to a folder on your hard drive and then burn this folder to CD....TT

Gongoozler 10:16 24 Dec 04

Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

As well as the System Information advised by THE TERMINATOR, very useful software for looking at what is in your computer is Belarc Advisor click here, or for a more in depth look, Everest Home Edition click here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 24 Dec 04

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here

VoG II 10:44 24 Dec 04

You may find click here of interest.

Skinn 10:51 26 Dec 04

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded Belarc and it says AMD Athlon 2 Ghz wheras under "System" in My Computer it says AMD Semperon 2 Ghz - which one should I trust?

Also, I paid for an upgrade to a 128Mb DirectX 9 compatible Graphics Card. On the delivery docket it says " VGA 128MB RAM TV OUT CARD" - are they one and the same? What should I look for on the Belarc analysis for this?

The sockets on the back of the case are: monitor, a small yellowround one with "COMP" printed beside it and a horizontal white one with DVI printed beside it - what are these latter two for?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:01 26 Dec 04

1. Belarc probaly not updated yet to recoginise Sempron Cpu (so do'nt worry)

2. Your VGA card is directx 9 compatible type dxdiags in run box to find out if Direct 9 installed.

3. Monitor =VGA socket to CRT monitor Comp= omposit video output to suitable applice (TV / Video) DVI= digital video output to flat screen monitor.

Skinn 11:15 26 Dec 04

Thanks FruitBat, I tried typing dxdiags into the Run box but "Windows cannot find" came up.Any other way of checking?

I wanted a Graphics card upgrade for games - is what is (hopefully) installed: "VGA 128MB RAM TV OUT CARD" the same as what I ordered : 128Mb DirectX 9 compatible Graphics Card?

alan227 11:27 26 Dec 04

Try this program it will tell you all the information about your computer parts..

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:31 26 Dec 04

Graphics card ok

Sorry my mistake type dxdiag (no s)

curlylad 11:35 26 Dec 04

Leave the 's' off the end of dxdiags , just type dxdiag , it will find it then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…