New PC

AubreyS 07:50 05 Aug 03

Hi all.
I have been offered a PC for £675. This is the spec. Do you think that it is a good buy (Don't say good bye £675 :-) )

Silver case & 3 Case fans
AMD Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred B. @ 2.13Ghz with heatsink & fan
Asus A7N8X-deluxe motherboard with :-
6 channel surround sound (dolby approved)
6 USB 2.0 Ports (2 at front access, 4 rear)
2 Firewire ports (rear, 1 large, 1 small)
2 Network Interfaces by 3Com (10/100Mbps)
2 Serial ATA 150 connectors (future proof)

512MB TwinMos (matched pair) running dual channel mode @ 400FSB
Gainward Golden Sample Ultra 650XP 128MB Video Card :-
Has Video In Capabilities
Has Video Out Capabilities
Has Digital DVI Connector
IBM 80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Floppy Drive
Pioneer Slot Loading 16x DVD/CD Drive
Asus 32x 12x 40x CD-RW Drive

Thanks for any advice.

Lú-tzé 08:10 05 Aug 03

Not a bad deal but I would like to know who I am buying it from and what sort of warranty is coming with it - for example, if buying from a friend I would be happy enough with it if the friend was going to be around for a while.

The CD-RW is a little old it seems.

Does it come without a monitor? If so it is a little costly. What about other peripherals?

AubreyS 08:13 05 Aug 03

Good morning Lú-tzé.
I do know the person that ist coming from. The price is just for the PC, nothing else. Everything else that I need, I have already.

Lú-tzé 10:32 05 Aug 03

In that case AubreyS, it is down to your own personal needs in a PC. Is it much better than your current PC? Will it do anything that your current PC will not do? What do you want to do with it?

Still, it does seem a little expensive as a base unit when more up to date machines can be purchased from various manufacturers at a similar price.

For example, have a look at the SuperBudget machines in the current issue of Computerbuyer (I think - have a browse of your magazine rack) magazine - from £499 + VAT.

I hate to say it but it sounds expensive. I have just bought a TIMe base unit computer for £799 from the shop,and it has 160gh hard disk DVD-RW/CDRW burner ,dvd drive 1024 mb of memory,nvidea fx graphics card ,5 usb ports firewire port,ethenet connector,memory card reader,Athlon XP 2600 plus others that I have forgotten. I know it is a Time but I have also got a years warranty. So far it is superb.

Aspman 11:32 05 Aug 03

Is is coming with an Operating system? With disks or OEM? If it's from a friend make sure its a proper licence of the software.

Tazfan 12:29 05 Aug 03

I would definately sayit is overpriced for a base unit. Do a search online for a cost of the bits, and see what price they come to.

mick n 12:46 05 Aug 03

<<<<512MB TwinMos (matched pair) running dual channel mode @ 400FSB Gainward >>>>>>>>

Interested in this part Aubrey , as i built a pc using same motherboard and cpu and memory as the ones you mention here.

The athlon XP 2600 has a FSB of 333 mhz, so surely, in dual channel mode, it would be 166 mhz?

brittas 14:01 05 Aug 03

Get him down to £600 and you will have a good deal - just did a quick sum up (inc vat) and came to @£647 - although couldnt guage motherboard price !!! The Gainward is about £160 alone (golden samples are good because can overclock safely. The cdrw etc lets it down - so that is why £600 to allow for an upgrade !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…