//some 3rd party need geo

New Office Setup - Can Anyone Help?

Kerrso05 08:41 15 Sep 05

Hi there,

In our Church we are about to set up a new Office with two persons (females) working in it. We are about to buy two new computers which will have new approved Church software on them. This software is for Parish Records (Deaths and marriages, Church finance etc) and the Software Company that has written this has specfied Windows XP Professional. As a member of the Select Vestry, I have been tasked with kitting this office out with its requirements.
Now, here is my problem, what is the cheapest way to kit these two Computers with the latest Microsoft Office Aplication (I don't know if that is Microsoft Office XP or 2005? .......they need to have Word, Excell, Powerpoint)
Can we buy one edition of Office and put it on the two computers or do we buy one edition and get a licence for the other? What is the cheapest way to kit out these two computers ( remembering that this is a church office and we would want to do the honest and right way...... NOT dodgy.......LOL) Any suggestions on were we could get the best deals?
We haven't bought the Computers yet but is there any mileage in trying to get a deal when purchasing them....in getting the complete package? At the moment, we are looking at Dell for the computers.
Your help and suggestions in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harry

interzone55 09:10 15 Sep 05

Unfortunately you will need to buy a copy of Office for both PCs. 2 PCs is too small a group to apply for any discounts.

The question you need to ask is "Do I actually need Microsoft Office?" there are plenty of cheaper alternatives, for instance Open Office is completely free but includes most of the funtionality of Microsoft Office, but doesn't include any technical support.

Sun Star Office costs about £50, is more or less the same as Open Office, includes technical support, and you may be able to install it on several PCs.

Check with your software company to see if Microsoft Office is necessary.

Hope this helps
Alan

Diodorus Siculus 09:18 15 Sep 05

I can only echo what alan14 has said - OpenOffice has all the functionality that you will need. MS Office is good but overkill for most applications.

OpenOffice can be downloaded from openoffice.org or if you want it on CD, it sometimes comes on cover disks. Failing that, mail me and I can post it to you.

Kerrso05 09:26 15 Sep 05

Thanks guys for your quick response. Unfortunately the Software Company has specified Microsoft Office, but do I need to buy two, Can I not buy one and then buy a licence for the other?
Is there any mileage in doing a deal with Dell (for example)in having the products pre-installed on the computers.........is there any savings to be made in this approach?

Harry

interzone55 10:12 15 Sep 05

Speak with Dell on this one, it generally is cheaper to have Office installed when the PC is built.

Explore the various Office packages, the Small Business package is cheaper than the full package, but misses out a few applications.

Take a look at the Student and Teacher version, the licensing is very flexible on this package, so you may be eligable, as a church is not a business and technically the PCs can be used for education purposes.

Alan

puma22 10:17 15 Sep 05

I have a copy of the student version of ms office. The following is a copy of the relevant part of the licence agreement:-
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. If you are a Qualified Educational User, Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
1.1 Installation and use. You may install a copy of the Software on three personal computers or other devices in your household for non-commercial use by people who reside in your household.
So, I would think that as this is not an 'educational' use, you cannot use the student version. However, you might be able to use the standard version on more than one PC? Try checking the MS site.

Kerrso05 12:48 15 Sep 05

So, Puma it looks as if we can't use the Student version but does anyone know if we can use the standard version on more than one computer? The MS site is a "Nightmare" to navigate through.
I think we would be taking the basic version of Office as we only would require Word, Excell and Powerpoint
Thanks for all your help in this matter

Harry
PS. Anyone know of any good deals on Dell COmputers?

interzone55 14:16 15 Sep 05

The standard version can only be installed on one PC and one Laptop, and further only if both are to be used by the same person (i.e. the two copies should not be run concurrently).

You will need to get Dell to install the standard version on both PCs, this will be cheaper than taking delivery of the PCs then installing it yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…