New Nvidia card vs old Matrox

pigeon tim 13:33 10 Dec 07

Hi, I've just bought a new pc which has a Nvidia Quadro FX 550 128mb video card in it and it has dual DVI's, trouble is I like to run 3 screens off one pc.

On my old pc I have a triplehead Matrox Parhelia 128mb card that I bought way back in 2003, this can run 3 monitors (one digital and two analogue)

My question is, can I use this card in my new pc without having to remove the Nvidia card and drivers or will they conflict?

And what is the main difference between the two cards as if it's huge then I may just leave it be and suffer with just two monitors. I don't use the pc for gaming so is there that much difference in them for every day use?

Regards

brundle 15:02 10 Dec 07

What slot type does your Matrox card use? What slots does your new PC have available?
If you're not sure run this to find out click here

gudgulf 15:08 10 Dec 07

The Nvidia card in your new pc will be a PCI-e card click here whereas the Matrox in the old pc will be AGP click here

These are totally different fittings,so the cards aren't interchangeable.

Performance wise there wont be much to chose between them for general use.....The Nvidia will support DirectX 9 which is more up to date than the Matrox.

Unless your pc can support both AGP and PCI-express which is unlikely then you wont be able to use your Matrox card instead of the Nvidia.

pigeon tim 20:26 10 Dec 07

I wish I'd known that prior to ordering the new pc as I'd have opted for a better card.

Thanks for replies.

Do I have to fork out for another card that will run 3 monitors or is there any other way nowadays?

gudgulf 20:50 10 Dec 07

Matrox do an external single to triple video converter.

click here

click here

Not cheap,but might be of interest to you.

pigeon tim 20:53 10 Dec 07

I like that.

Thanks very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…