New to networking

unomomento 20:14 16 May 06

I am looking for a good wireless router and dongle and have come across the NETGEAR - 108MBPS ROUTER as being the best for me but im not sure how it actually works. I have a AOL Broadband connection through ethernet but i have no idea if i bought a router how it would work and what i would do with the AOL modem. Does the Modem plug into the router and is there a monthly charge i have to pay? please help.

ade.h 20:20 16 May 06

"Does the modem plug into the router?"

Yes, if you're a cable customer, but you are an ADSL customer, so the modem goes.

And in its place; a modem/router, such as the Belkin 7632 click here (my pref over the updated 7633 for its USB printer port).

"Is there a monthly charge?"

To whom?

And are you sure that you can justify the extra expense (not much, admittedly) of a propreitary boosted system? Are you planning to stream large files such as multimedia content across the wireless part of the network? If not, I suggest you settle for a standard 802.11g router and leave the "pre-n" stuff for now.

ade.h 20:21 16 May 06

Propreitary = proprietary!

unomomento 20:51 16 May 06

well i intend to get a router for myself on this computer being a laptop but no wireless internals such as intel mobile. i also want to connect my other laptop to it so that my son can use it, but he will use the usb correct? however, will i need 2 usbs? my son will use it mainly for school work, playing online games that are free, general browsing and downladed materials.

ade.h 21:07 16 May 06

You will need one external adapter per client ONLY if that client does not have an internal adapter. PCMCIA cards are generally preferable to USB adapters - they tend to be more reliable, more effective (larger aerial component) and there is no risk is damaging a USB port if you knock it (seen it done!).

Could you check and confirm that at least one of your PCs has an Ethernet port? This is an essential prerequisite for configuration purposes.

Whatever router you purchase, I will say in advance: do not bother using any "installation" CD that the instructions suggest. It is unnecessary with 99% of routers and the best method of configuration is the proper method; entering the IP in a browser. This provides more control and you learn right from the start how a router is accessed and configured.

Do not enable any form of security protocol until the wireless links have been successfully established. Use only WPA or WPA2 as WEP can be cracked in seconds. As more network owners wise up to security, there become fewer soft targets for wardrivers click here to aim at, so they go after the medium targets.

If you currently use client (software) firewalls on your PCs, make certain that you familiarise yourself thoroughly with their requirements/tactics for network configuration.

I hope none of this puts you off, but it's better that I tell you all this now, rather than later. Too many people jump into networking with a blindfold and then struggle, but when you know a few fundamentals, it becomes straightforward.

unomomento 21:13 16 May 06

well i do know for sure that both have ethernet ports and i am quite sure they both can take PCMCIA cards. o referring back to your previous reply, is out internet provider no longer AOL or not if we have this wireless router with the NETGEAR - 108MBPS ROUTER AND USB ADAPTER in mind. thanks alot for your help. what would you say is the best possible router you have come across?

ade.h 21:19 16 May 06

You will, for better or worse, remain with AOL! Nothing changes there. A word of caution: AOL has certain unique requirements vis a vis internet connection settings. You'll need to make certain that you have these - which will include the MTU value among other things - before you try to set up the router.

And another tip; once you have set up the router, uninstall the AOL software and drivers from your PC. Then go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections and check that either (a) the radio buttons are greyed out or (b) it is set to "never dial a connection".

ade.h 21:21 16 May 06

"What would you say is the best possible router you have come across?"

See my first post. The Belkin 7632. I have one, which has been perfect, and I have set up a few of them for other folk. They have been great as well. As with all routers, it must be set up properly. There is not much room for mistakes in networking, but there is always potential.

mgmcc 00:19 17 May 06

<<< I have a AOL Broadband connection through ethernet >>>

unomomento,
Is your AOL connection ADSL via the phone line or is it delivered via the NTL Cable service, because both methods are in use for AOL?

nick_j007 11:40 17 May 06

Hello all,

I have an old laptop that has a wireless card in the PCMCIA slot and has been running wirelessly for a year or two now.

This has been 'demoted' recently since the arrival of a lovely new desktop that has a wireless adaptor in a USB plug and is also on the same router system.

All is running absolutely fine, but I would like to know if it's possible to send doc's from one to the other for printing purposes and viewing etc.

Some early pointers for this would be appreciated, as it's a job to know where to start!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

mgmcc 12:09 17 May 06

Can I respectfully refer you to this posting by the Forum Editor click here about the problems that can arise from "hijacking" another person's discussion with a problem of your own ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…