New to networking

mulholland 18:11 30 Mar 06

I'm thinking about home networking.I presently have a desk top and Lap Top both with XP Home.Can anyone advise me on which is the best equip (ie.Type & Make)to by for the job.I've seen ads for wireless and also others systems that use your houshold elect.sockets by having plug in devices that connect remotly to the Lap Top so which ever room your in you just plug it into the socket(these systems are supposed to stop connection problems.

Can anyone advise

rsinbad 20:30 30 Mar 06

yes have used them sensitive to rcd's and spurs but should bclick here ok

wobblymike 20:15 31 Mar 06

Why not just go normal wireless - you will need a wireless modem/router (I use BT Voyager 2091 and its fine)for your desktop and a pcmcia plug in wireless card for your laptop (if you heven't already got it). Both the modem and pcmcia card you can get on e bay. Connect the router to your desktop via an ethernet cable, set it up iaw the instructions (dead easy) and you're on the net. Set up the security side of it iaw the instructions using a password (again dead easy).
Fit the pcmcia card to the laptop, it will pick up the signal from the modem/router - set up the security using the same password and thats it. You then have a secure wireless system. If you need more post back.

airwolf115 22:32 03 Jul 06

hi wobblymike is it pos to set up both computers through the modem so i can send files and print between them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…