New to networking

Jak_1 18:00 04 Mar 05

I have an Advent Athlon 64bit pc running xp-home sp1 and an old Packard Bell 1g Athlon running Win Me, Both PC's have a 10/100 network card and I have the correct cable to link them. I have an external USB modem

Would be grateful for an idiot's guide to setting up a lan so both pc's can access the net.

I can put xp-pro on the old Packard Bell if this would make linking them easier.

Thanks

Forum Editor 20:13 04 Mar 05

is that the Advent would need to be running for the Packard Bell to use the Internet - or the other way around.

On the other hand, if you bought a router, and an ethernet modem you would be in business. The modem would connect to the router, as would both computers. Then you could use either computer to access the internet, without the need to have the other machine running.

Alternatively you could buy a wireless router/modem combination and a couple of wireless network cards for the PCs. No need for any wiring - other than the router's connection to the phone point - and again, no need to have both machines running.

It will work with Win ME on the Packard Bell, but why not upgrade it to WinXP while you're about it?

Jak_1 20:25 04 Mar 05

Many thanks, I am thinking of getting a modem router but that will have to be in the future as I will have to save for it. Also as the 2 pc's are right next to each other then cable connect would be the cheaper option.

I am more than competant in pc matters but this will be my first foray into a lan setup so any advice is more than gratefully accepted.

FelixTCat 23:04 04 Mar 05

Connect the two computers with a CROSSOVER ethernet cable, not a standard patch cable.

Run the network wizard on the computer with the broadband modem and tell it that other computers will connect to the internet through this computer.

Then run it on the other computer, telling it to connect through another computer.

Make sure that the firewalls on the computers are set to allow network connections.

If you want to share files, make sure that you set file and printer sharing and set at least one file, folder or drive to share on each pc.

Forum Editor 00:33 05 Mar 05

if the machines are next to each other a cable connection is the obvious method - it would be pretty pointless setting up a wireless router in that context.

Jak_1 15:10 05 Mar 05

many thanks everyone for the info/

FelixTCat 15:48 05 Mar 05

You're welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…