//some 3rd party need geo

new network setup causes streaming problem

Graham-199675 13:34 19 Jul 05

I’ve just set up a small home network using a netgear dg834gt Everything is working fine apart from when I use winamp I now can’t stream radio and it won’t fetch and cd titles from gracenote. I also use music brainz to identify cd tracks and similarly it won’t fetch any titles.

If any one has any ideas I would be grateful, as I’ve just spent all weekend searching the web without any luck.

Michendi 10:26 20 Jul 05

Login to the dg834gt Admin UI and check the firewall settings. These may need some tweaking to get streaming to work correctly, but be careful not to compromise your security settings.

Graham-199675 12:28 20 Jul 05

Michendi thanks for your reply.

I've been trawling through the winamp forums & it does seem to be a firewall problem, I don't appear to be the only one having this problem.

Michendi 11:26 25 Jul 05

The good news is that you will eventually get the settings right. I have a small office network of 4 computers and use the same Netgear DG834G Router.

I consider myself to be a reasonably competent person with regards to networks and it took me quite a few hours to get all the setting right so as to ensure maximum security and still enjoy some freedom of choice. (Incidently, I also use Winamp as my Media Player and listen to Internet music all day!)

REMEMBER : A hardware firewall is relative limited in what it can do (unless you pay thousands for a Cisco dedicated firewall) and it is essential that you also deploy a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Trend Micro Internet Security. These will also need to be setup to ensure optimum security while enjoying the Internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…