New Network Detected

john bunyan 09:45 AM 05 Oct 11

Windows 7 64 bit; PCTools free firewall. I have recently installed a new Belkin Share 300 modem / wireless router. It has WPA/WPA2 protection with a different password for desktop and "guests". The Network is a homegroup : Network 3 (I have had 2 previous routers and do not know how to find others - no sign of them in network and sharing).The "problem" is that when I switch on the desktop, the PC Tools firewall comes up with a message: "New Network Detected" "Workgroup" ""Public" together with a MAC address and an IP. I change the "Public" to "Homegroup" and "Apply" and the splash closes . This did not happen with the previous router. Any views?

john bunyan 17:02 PM 07 Oct 11

In absence of replies I will assume no one has a solution.

Ashrich 18:55 PM 25 Oct 11

A bit of a late answer , but this is a problem with the firewall , remove it from the PC , reboot and re-install , that usually sorts it .

john bunyan 19:26 PM 25 Oct 11

Ashrich Thanks. I think you are right. I had downloaded and tried to install the latest PCTools firewall that I have used for a long time. In the end I am using the Windows 7 own firewall and the problem seems gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…