New network card, problems...

Gaz 25 11:04 17 Jul 03

I have a customer that soon as he had fitted a Network card his PC powered down (lights and fans go off) but then it comes back on.

I have tried to tell him yo disable wake on lan, no luck.

I have tried loads but I am stumped.

Any ideas?

Lozzy 11:11 17 Jul 03

Did he get a network card that is compatible with his version of windows. You don't state windows version or type of network card.. Has he loaded the drivers??

AndySD 11:32 17 Jul 03

Also what is his motherboard?

plankton 12:42 17 Jul 03

This sounds a bit like a problem I had when I installed a Firewire/USB2 card. I had to switch APM (Auto Power Management) off completely in the BIOS.
Hope this helps.

Gaz 25 13:04 17 Jul 03

Ok thanks.

Windows XP he uses and the network card auto-installs with XP, as far as I know the disk says: Windows 95/98/2000/ME Not XP. It says XP NO.

I will ask him to disable the APM then, and send him the the driver update page.

His motherboard is a Matsonic, only a basic one.

266FSB Athlon XP, Duron, etc..
DDR and SD-Ram

I cannot remember the model it begins with 8 and ends with a C+ (8143C+)

Hope someone can help,

Gaz 25 16:29 17 Jul 03

It has still not sorted it,

remember it powers down and then comes back on, so it looks like a WOL but that is disabled, only when his modem for broadband is in the fault occurs.

Gaz 25 16:30 17 Jul 03

Now you come to mention it ages ago, a computer of mine I had fitted a QTEC card USB2 and it caused a reboot but not like this one, this shutsdown and then comes back on.

Gaz 25 16:31 17 Jul 03

I better go, it is thudering.

Bye. and I will check posts later.,

Gaz 25 17:10 17 Jul 03

Any more ideas then?

Gaz 25 17:35 17 Jul 03

I will have a look through his manual, it may help.,

plankton 14:50 18 Jul 03

Yes, my problem was exactly that it shutdown to power off and then came back on and rebooted.
However, as it's a broadband modem, is there some sort of "jumper" or "dipswitch" on it to enable power-off, the idea of Broadband being to be online "all the time"?
PS - I don't know coz I haven't got Broadband (can't supply as yet, but that's another story...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…