New to network

Noldi 10:42 01 Oct 05

I am looking for some advice on Networks.
I have just invested in a wireless router and have a desktop computer running XP home conected to a modem via USB and a wireless router conected to the modem. I have 2 lap tops 1 running XP pro the second is running XP home.
Question is Running XP pro on all machines would it be worth while upgrading and do I need a software to help with file shareing.
Noldi

mgmcc 14:10 01 Oct 05

I don't understand how you have connected your networking hardware:-

<<< and have a desktop computer running XP home conected to a modem via USB and a wireless router conected to the modem. >>>

If you have an ADSL USB modem, it cannot connect to a router. A "Cable Modem" (Telewest and NTL) does support both USB and Ethernet connections, but they cannot both be used simultaneously to run two PCs.

Depending on the type of broadband, you should use a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" for ADSL connecting via the phone line, or a "stand-alone" router which connects to the modem by ethernet for "Cable".

All PCs connect directly to the router and get their internet access over the Local Area Network from the router.

<<< Question is Running XP pro on all machines would it be worth while upgrading >>>

I believe that XP Home Edition supports a maximum of five computers in a network, so for a greater number of PCs, XP Professional would be required. Otherwise, there is no problem with mixing XP Home and Pro, or indeed earlier versions of Windows, Linux or Mac.

<<< and do I need a software to help with file sharing >>>

No, Windows' File & Printer Sharing will let you share selected folders and/or printers over the network.

Noldi 11:12 02 Oct 05

Thanks mgmcc
I now have some sort of wireless network running but time will tell what I can do. I have a Zyxel P623-ME Modem, in the rear is 2 conections I USB (conected to Desktop) 1 Ethernet connected to the wirless box (microspot MEW-431BRP) The Acer laptops have a modem LAN etc that seems to get a internet connection no problem. But I dont know where I should be looking to transfer folders etc (explorer?). The rason I asked about pro is that the laptop running that seemed so easy to set up and wondered if all 3 are on XP pro would it be better.
Noldi

mgmcc 12:43 02 Oct 05

>>> But I dont know where I should be looking to transfer folders etc (explorer?) <<<

Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting "Sharing and Security". In any case, set at least one folder in each PC as "shared" to help to get the file sharing working.

Open "My Network Places", rather than "My Computer" or Windows Explorer, because there is a subtle difference in behaviour when using a "My Network Places" window. By expanding the folder tree...

My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > {workgroup_name} > {computer_name}

...you should see the shared resources (folders and/or printers) for that PC. Files can then be copied, pasted, moved, dragged & dropped etc. between computers in the same way as between folders in a single PC.

If you have firewall software running, you will have to configure it so that networked computers are not blocked, by entering their IP addresses in its "trusted" area.

>>> The reason I asked about pro is that the laptop running that seemed so easy to set up and wondered if all 3 are on XP pro would it be better. <<<

If anything, I would expect Home Edition to be easier to set up because it lacks the security features of Pro, which can be a 'pain' when trying to access over the network.

Noldi 12:24 04 Oct 05

Ok so now im getting it with this shared folders that I now understand, The right click I did not know this a bout setting up folders. The thing about Pro I will try setting up the second lap top on Home when I have time. I suppose it was easier to post on here than to read the instuctions.

Thank you Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac