New Netgear router won't work - baffled!

pc_sausage 13:58 30 Apr 06

Hi,

have just swapped my Netgear DG834G for the DG834v2 (as the former's speed seemed to vary be lagging).

Set the new one up and the lights are lit as required and are all green. My computer cannot see any type of wireless network, despite refreshing and repairing. I can't even get into the router set-up page as there is no connection.

However, I then plug all the new cables (x3) into my old DG834G and the old router is spotted immediately and allows me to connect to the internet.

I have removed my old router settings and don't know what else could be causing grief? Can anyone help me?

Ta

Minkey1 14:06 30 Apr 06

Did you go through initial set up with your computer connected via ethernet ?

After initial configuration on my Netgear I went back later and changed some settings wirelessly.

Subsequently I could not access the set up page. Powering off/on the router solved it.

pc_sausage 14:08 30 Apr 06

Hi,

yes - at the moment I physically have the cables in the back of the tower. Tried power off and hard re-sets and still no recognition.

mgmcc 14:15 30 Apr 06

Have you given the new router a different SSID from the old one so that the wireless adapter doesn't try to connect automatically to the new one using settings that relate to the old one?

pc_sausage 14:27 30 Apr 06

I re-set the old router back to it's factory settings, so think it should be okay?

mgmcc 15:17 30 Apr 06

Have you been using the default SSID with both routers and, if so, it it the same in both?

GuZ.0r 15:25 30 Apr 06

Could the router be faulty?

pc_sausage 15:42 30 Apr 06

Hi, yes played around with SSID settings - but couldn't get into this for ther new one as it physically sees no connection, so won't let me get into set-up page.

Thinking it may be faulty, so am cutting my losses and returning it.

Thanks for the help all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…