New Netgear RangeMax Router with ADSL Modem

ajm 18:13 15 Jan 06

Has anyone bought this click here

Forum Editor 18:41 16 Jan 06

I have a corporate client who lives in a whacking great house in North London. About two years ago I installed a Netgear router for the broadband connection. At the time the family had only two machines that were not too far from the router,and things were fine.

Now, all three sons have laptops in their rooms, there's a PC in the basement, and the client's wife brings a laptop home from work. The NetGear just wasn't up to the job anymore,and everyone was complaining about flaky connections, so a couple of months ago back I went with one of these NetGear Rangemax routers. The result was dramatic, all machines suddenly had very strong signals, and I haven't heard a word of complaint since.

Buy one.

dunlops up 19:05 16 Jan 06

I am having problems with range. I had a Linksys WAG354G and in the room I wish to use wirelessly, the signal was very poor. Linksys suggested a WAP54G and said I would need 2 of them, that was a bit pricey so they said a High Gain Antenna might work, I have read mixed responses to these.
Comet recommended a WAG54GS with speed booster which I bought and guess what- no change in signal strength.
It is almost impossible to find out what reuter has more signal output as opposed to data transfer. The WAG54GS would appear to be quicker at data transfer but not signal.
Is this Netgear router likely to give me a better signal or any other suggestions.
I have the router set as high as possible/ changed channels/would prefer not to make the main PC linked to router wireless.

Grateful for help.

Forum Editor 19:12 16 Jan 06

You're hijacking someone else's thread, but anyway.....

There are no guarantees with wireless equipment - what works in one situation may not be much good in another. All I can say is that the RangeMax did the job for me in the situation I've described, prior to which a standard NetGear modem/router combination had failed to provide enough coverage. It's a gamble, and either you try it or you don't.

ajm 20:13 16 Jan 06

Thanks for your comments. The item you are describing is just the RANGEMAX ROUTER. Netgear have released the same, but with a BUIYL IN ADSL MODEM. This is the one that I am more interested in. It is failry new product and I have not seen reviews of it anywhere at the moment. However, previous experiences with Netgeard products, especially the DG824 and the DG834G have been excellent and I am sure that the new DG834PN shall offer the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac