New motherboard/cpu/ram but can't POST

ukzz4iroc 08:33 19 Feb 06

Hi chaps,

I have a Gigabyte 81915P dual graphic motherboard complete spec here: click here

I also have an ATI x-850 PCI graphics card and a 3ghz socket 775 cpu- box says its the l2 cache but I bought a L1.

I installed all this in a new case and am using a blank HDD which I will (hopefully) do a fresh XP install on.

I am also using a Qtech 550w psu and have 2 seperate sticks of Corsair DDR2 4200 RAM/ 533 1gb.

When I switch on, the fans start up (PSU and graphics card- bear in mind it feeds straight from the PSU though) but nothing else happens and the monitior goes off. None of the leds on the case work so the board isn't happy somewhere. I have tried reseating the CPU and memory and graphics card but still no good.

Problem is I got most of this stuff off ebay, all good feedbacks etc and the board was 2 weeks old andthe cpu new.

On the supported cpu listing on Gigabytes site it says that the processor I have is supported under F3, so the 3rd update but I can't update anything until I get at least to POST.

HELP!!!! It's driving me mad.

Cheers,
Felix

john-232317 09:16 19 Feb 06

Do you get any beeps ? click here

ICF 09:52 19 Feb 06

Try it with only one stick of memory and try both on their own.

ICF 09:54 19 Feb 06

Get the updated bios and upgrade the bios?

ukzz4iroc 11:09 19 Feb 06

Thanks for the replys- this site is truly Worldclass.

I'm getting no beeps at all and how can I update the bios if I can't get any life at all? Bear in mind I don't have a floppy drive.

Have tried with the memory,swapping them about. DDr2 won't fit in DDr1 slots anyway right?

Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 19 Feb 06

Unplugg everthing except for 1 stick of memory cpu and graphics card.

reseat both graphics card and memory.

only leads to power sitch on case connected plus PSU connections to motherboard (20 /24 pin andif fitted a 4 pin for the CPU[very common case of no boot]).

It should now post to an error messge about lack of hard drive or no poperating system.

Harpur 11:21 19 Feb 06

when you put the motherboard in the system did you only put in the necesary spacers where the holes are? i know this may sound stupid but many a common fault here is a stray un-needed spacer causing a short. if the other solutions don't work, try and test your mobo outside the case on a hard non metallic surface. if it works then you are creating a shortage in the case

Gongoozler 11:29 19 Feb 06

Also worth trying - remove the CMOS battery for several (30?) minutes and then refit it. Sometimes the BIOS settings can be so far out that they prevent booting and removing the battery forces a total reset.

ICF 17:02 19 Feb 06

ukzz4iroc said:-
"On the supported cpu listing on Gigabytes site it says that the processor I have is supported under F3, so the 3rd update but I can't update anything until I get at least to POST."

"how can I update the bios if I can't get any life at all?"

I thought you had another computer.

WhiteTruckMan 18:57 19 Feb 06

Which is what this is, harpurs advice is the first way to go. If it will not post and there is no graphics output at all then I would suspect the graphics card. Do you have another one to throw in and see?

Also, I remember my first 1 gig athlon system that I built refused to start at all. I think that was a gigabyte board as well, but I wouldnt swear to it. Anyhow, there were 2 fan supply sockets next to each other and I plugged the cpu fan into the wrong one. turned out that the correct one was monitored for voltage drop and if it wasnt detected (i.e. if the fan wasnt running) then no startum uppum!

WTM

ed-0 19:57 19 Feb 06

Is the Qtech 550w psu, a 24 + 4 pin model. Have you both the 24pin and 4 pin sockets inserted on the mobo?

What setting on the motherboard have you selecte for the dual graphics dipswitch ( SW1 )? All on or all off or different?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…