New motherboard wont read the hard disk

JohnS 12:48 19 Jan 04

I am at a loss as to what to do next with this problem.

I have replaced my motherboard and it will not boot to the hard disk. Bios shows the disk is there and it is set as 'Master' and connected to IDE1. If I connect the hard disk to my other main computer, it boots to Win XP ok.

If I put an older smaller disk to the new board, it boots up ok.

If I put the disk from my main computer to the new motherboard, it also fails to boot.

I have moved the jumpers to change the fsb settings on the motherboard, all with differing results but none that let the hard disk boot.

Any ideas please........ John

Jester2K 13:16 19 Jan 04

Have you formatted the disk that doesn't work?

What actually happens when you boot up??

Diemmess 15:52 19 Jan 04

Each alternative HD seems to work

Diemmess 15:54 19 Jan 04

I changed my mind and posted rather than cleared my unexpressed magic cure!

dth 16:04 19 Jan 04

I had a similiar problem at the weekend and tried all the steps that you have taken. Tried different IDE connectors and it worked fine - haven't worked out why....

slowhand_1000 17:08 19 Jan 04

Have you tried connecting to IDE 0 rather than IDE 1

BigMoFoT 17:13 19 Jan 04

How old is the motherboard in comparisson with the HDD? It's mot a SATA drive is it cos they require 3rd party drivers that XP does not support?

JohnS 12:12 20 Jan 04

In ref to Slowhand_1000 point.

How do I connect to IDE0. I only can see IDE1 and 2 sockets.
thanks

John

Aspman 12:21 20 Jan 04

Are you using an 80 pin or 40 pin IDE cable. I've had some problems on the newest boards using older cables.

Also make sure your HD isn't set to slave (SL) if it used to share an IDE cable. If it set to Cable Select (CS) change it to Master (MA)

Try it on both connectors on the ide cable and repeat in both IDE1 and 2.

Is the power cable in right? Can you feel/hear the HD spin up when you switch the machine on?

Does the IDE/HD LED on the machine light up?
If it is does it flicker or is it 'stuck' on?

Is the cable the right way round? If it does not have the little block to only make the cable fit one way it is easy to get it backwards.

Failing all that, try your HD in another machine if you can, and try another HD in your machine.

check all your other componants are seated correctly just in case. Don't attach your any other IDE devices until you have your HD going, it could confuse things.

Work your way through all that. Its often just a process of elimination.

woodchip 12:29 20 Jan 04

You will not get it to work without Format and reinstall, but put the motherboard drives on as soon as you have Windows back on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…