New Motherboard - Will I have to re-install Vista?

kidda123 22:27 19 Feb 09

Hi All,

I am going to upgrade my mobo from a ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus to a XFX Geforce 8200. The reason for the upgrade is that the new board should suit a HTPC better.

Want I want to know is will I have to go through the trauma of a new vista install? I don't really mind the install so much as the replacement of drivers and programs etc.

Cheers.

Kidda123

Totally-braindead 22:35 19 Feb 09

I'll let someone else answer this as I am not an expert on Vista but with XP you could do a repair which allowed you to keep everything else as is.
However although I know people who have done this successfully with XP I personally never did it myself I always did a clean install because thats what I prefered to do.
Assumming that Vista is the same in this respect as XP then I see no reason that you cannot do this but if your copy of Vista is not a Full copy and is an OEM copy then it is my understanding that it may fail validation as its meant to die with the old computer and it may consider a new motherboard as a new PC. This was an issue that could happen with XP, not always but sometimes.
Not wanting to cloud the issue I am sure someone who is a Vista expert will confirm if there are any issues.

wis 22:35 19 Feb 09

yes sir the big hit

sil_ver 22:38 19 Feb 09

It's always a good idea to do a re-install of the O/S after a mobo change as there can be some conflicts causing inexplicable errors. In fact it's not unknown for a PC to refuse to boot.

kidda123 23:27 19 Feb 09

I have the retail upgrade version from my original XP disc. Purchased from PC world so defo not OEM.

I have both discs, will I have to install XP again first and then Vista on top off that?

I've only just thought about that!!

gazzaho 08:54 20 Feb 09

I would try a repair first, as they say what have you got to loose? If it doesn't work then you just do the full format reinstall, if the repair works you may have Vista activation issues because of the mobo change though.

I can't speak for the Vista upgrade method as I have an OEM version, however you used to be able to install Windows from an upgrade disk and insert the genuine older version disk for verification purposes, bypassing the need to install one over the top of the other. Perhaps someone can confirm if this still works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…