new motherboard will i have to re fomat

tileman 13:39 25 Apr 03

hi thinking of upgrading:: getting new motherboard graphics moemory etc will i have to refomat hard drive

MartinT-B 13:50 25 Apr 03

Almost certainly not. 99.9% sure not.

You'll have to change drivers tho.

PA28 13:50 25 Apr 03

Yes and No. You'll probably find that your system will still appear to work OK when you boot up. Then it might start to wobble a bit. My experience is that a clean start is the only way to go, with a complete system reinstall - and if you're doing that, you might as well reformat and have a fresh start. Yes it's a real pain to do and you have to ensure that you've got everything before you start, but it really is the best way to realise the full benefit of your upgrade. Afterwards you won't regret it. Promise!

cream. 13:58 25 Apr 03

The chances are that you will have to format.Also depends on what operating system you are using at the moment.

What you could do after you have made backup's of all your important data. Before you take anything out of the machine, go to add and remove programmes. See if you can find the entries for your motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers. If so remove them.

Then go to device manager and remove the graphics card from display adapter tab.

You could then install the new M\B, graphics card and ram to see if it will boot. Have your new motherboard disk and windows disk handy.

They may be a chance that this might just work

King Diamond 14:10 25 Apr 03

I put a new MOBO in last week and had to do a full re-install...bit of a pain, but worth it.

woodchip 14:14 25 Apr 03

Shall I say, you will have problems if you do not

MartinT-B 14:16 25 Apr 03

I'm confused.

Did you just change MoBo, but keep same processor etc. as I did, or did you all chaneg more than that.

I just swapped them, tweaked bios and booted into windows which had New Hardware at which point I loaded my Mobo drivers etc. and restarted and continued into windows.

Terrahawk 14:20 25 Apr 03

just built new machine transfered drive from old one had to clean install xp kept falling over its a bit of a pain but to avoid problems my advice would be clean install

y_not 14:20 25 Apr 03

Put a new engine into an old car and it will work....after a fashion.

I would not consider fitting a new mainboard without formattiing - its asking for trouble.

My opinion for what its worth.

Formattings not such a big deal anyway...unless you don't back up regular

kentylad 14:37 25 Apr 03

I had this problemwhen I built my PC. I am running XP Pro now but at the time I was running ME. I did a back-up of all my data anyway before I started building my PC, in case something drastic went wrong! I suggest you do the same as myself, and if it comes to doing a complete re-install, the you have no problems.

Nick

Mango Grummit 14:45 25 Apr 03

There is a grain of truth in that starting again is not a problem but it does largely depend on when you started in the first place. It can take about 12 to 18 months to get your puter JUST how you want it and to start from scratch again IS a pain. Formatting is easy but is to be avoided if possible. Best thing is to take a Drive Image when you are happy with your setup -- at least every 6/8 weeks. No problem then and no more formatting and starting again. .. although some people seem to enjoy it.! I didn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…