New motherboard problems

Sutts88 20:04 05 Nov 08

Right, im trying to put a new motherboard in my computer. Its starts up fine at first but when it starts to boot windows vista, it just restarts itself. When i disable auto restart, it has a message about running chkdsk /f. anyone know what the real problem is and a solution maybe?

MAJ 20:20 05 Nov 08

..... would suggest a hard drive problem, check all leads and connections on the hard drive and motherboard.

sunnystaines 20:20 05 Nov 08

have you re installed windows, you need to do this with a new board.

Sutts88 20:23 05 Nov 08

There is no problem with the hard disk as it is working fine with my other motherboard.

do i need to install windows again even though its already installed on the hard disk?

Stuartli 20:28 05 Nov 08

You don't need to Reinstall Windows, only an XP Repair (I'm assuming you have XP).

Details on how to do this at:

click here

Ensure you select Repair and NOT Recovery Console (you need to choose Install for the first couple of stages).

I've replaced two motherboards in the last two or three years and this is all that is required.

Do a backup first but, normally, all programs, applications etc will be unaffected.

Sutts88 20:29 05 Nov 08

im running vista, not xp

Stuartli 20:31 05 Nov 08

Just noticed you have Vista...:-(

See:

click here

Sutts88 21:25 05 Nov 08

if my vista disk is an oem, would this cause a problem. im not sure if it is as it was a gift

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…