New Motherboard - now problems

badgermansix 16:11 04 Feb 09

Winxp Pro SP2

Since I had a new motherboard installed, things do not seem to be working as they did.
I did not need to reinstall windows or anything.

For instance, m/s moviemaker will not burn to disk, I keep getting a message "A recordable CD was not detected"

Acronis True Image v 11.0 - Although it opens o.k. if I try to backup, or restore, (I always backed up to my external HD)it will not complete its actions but freezes the screen.
I have tried to uninstall it as advised, via control Panel, add or remove programmes, but the window freezes and I have to Ctrl, Alt, Delete.
So I cannot uninstall it before reinstalling.

Although I am not certain, looking at Task Manager, apart from "C" Drive, I think my cd drives (2), and my HD disks, external drive with two partions, internal drive with two partitions, may have changed their Letters, could this have anything to do with my problems?

tia

Stuartli 16:16 04 Feb 09

As you have a new motherboard, have you installed the correct drivers for it from the maker's website?

Whenever I've replaced a motherboard I've always done an XP Repair as XP doesn't always "take" to a new board.

Providing it is done correctly programes, applications, data, configuration etc are normally retained, although a backup is always a sound idea.

Information on undertaking an XP Repair can be found at:

click here

badgermansix 17:01 04 Feb 09

Stuartli, thanks for your prompt reply.
The first thing is that I cannot get Acronis to backup, or uninstall.
The Link says that I should backup first, I'm a bit stumped.

Stuartli 19:05 04 Feb 09

Check that you have installed the correct motherboard drivers.

Another possibility is overheating, so ensure that the CPU is being properly cooled. I presume you applied an appropriate amount of thermal paste when installing it on the new mobo?

Shuffty 21:09 04 Feb 09

Acronis 11 is very slow to complete restore it has taken as long as 30 mins before I could select the backup to restore,it must be the worst ver yet from acronis I have gone back to ver 10

badgermansix 23:34 04 Feb 09

I have v.11, I have tried to uninstall the programme itself.
In add/remove progs. there is no sign of it.
I know it is the wrong thing to do but I tried "Search" find Acronis and deleted everthing I could find. I think I am now in deep something or other.
Any ideas how I can remove the rest of the bits and pieces left in please?

badgermansix 08:57 05 Feb 09

I don't know what happened there, but I was working at my desktop when I saw the icon for Acronis just disappear, on checking I find the programme has now been completly removed?

xania 11:52 05 Feb 09

If you have installed a new motheerboard, the frist thing you need to do is reinstall you operating system. Although, you can get away with it, any problems you experience will almost certainly be down to clashes between the various drivers you have and don't now need, and those newly installed drivers.

Strawballs 12:07 05 Feb 09

click here download and run this and you can remove all the leftover bits

Stuartli 15:37 05 Feb 09

That is precisely why I mentioned an XP Repair (rather than a reinstall) earlier in the thread...:-)

badgermansix 06:22 06 Feb 09

Thank you all, I thought about a repair, but then I read that I should make a backup first, I cannot do this because Acronis is so slow it takes hours to install.
I have now realised that I did a backup, just before things started to go wrong, so even if the Repair goes wron and I have to do a complete reinstall, I will still have the backup on my external drive.
I will do this this as soon as I get back from swimming in a couple of hours.
As a matter of interest, I have downloaded other progs. without problems.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…