New motherboard not booting windows XP

Sion 09:36 16 Mar 04

Morning all, Bought myself a lovely new Asus A7V600 motherboard yesterday, installed it promptly into my case, booted up, and it will not load windows XP home. It goes through all the bios info, and all the POST stuff, just as it begins to load up windows, the system restarts itself. Does anyone have any ideas. I know the most likely explanation is that install of XP on my hard drive does not like my new motherboard so won't boot. Can anyone think of a way around this that does not involve me formatting the drive and reinstalling, or having to buy another hard drive. Any help is muchos appreciated ! Cheers
Sion

AndySD 09:51 16 Mar 04

Boot into safe mode and uninstall the motherboard drivers.

If not then boot to the Safe mode options screen and choose load vga mode does this let you in to windows?

A final solution if you have the XP home cd and not a restore disk....

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow these steps to repairing Windows XP.

medicine hat 09:52 16 Mar 04

Isn't it annoying when Windows just reboots like that rather than giving you the BSOD, so you could at least investigate the error.

Try reseating the RAM in another slot.

Sion 09:56 16 Mar 04

Hi Andy, will try that now. I have Windows XP Home OEM disc. Unfortunately it will not let me boot into safe mode, just restarts the system same as normal booting option. Will give the repair a go though. Sounds like a plan to me ! That repair option will not delete ALL the files on my hard drive though will it?

temp003 10:00 16 Mar 04

No, the repair won't delete your other files, that's why AndySD suggested it.

Sion 10:06 16 Mar 04

Just checking. Its early and me brain ain't runnign at 10% capacity yet.
Looks like im gonna go and replace my motherboard. AGAIN! Ugh, why can't i have a spare case for emergencies like this ! Will let u know how this goes.

georgemac 10:56 16 Mar 04

first I would run a memory test utility like this one here click here you will need to register - runs from a boot floppy - concerned about compatibility between your ram and your motherboard.

I have also had a problem before where xp would just not install from the cd and had to be installed by first copying files to the hard drive - off to see if I can find the article

temp003 11:03 16 Mar 04

I don't understand your last post. Why do you need to change your motherboard again?

Have you tried the repair installation as suggested by AndySD? From the times of your posts, you couldn't have. Are you saying the CD won't boot, or what?

Not being able to boot into XP after a change of motherboard is normal. Especially with XP, unless the new motherboard happens to have similar components to the old one, you shouldn't be able to load up XP from the same hard disk, without first removing the old drivers and installing the new ones. That's the purpose of the repair installation.

georgemac 11:13 16 Mar 04

sorry never read it correctly, yes probably caused by conflicts with the old drivers for the motherboard, but would still expect to be able to boot into safe mode. continually tap the f8 key as soon as the bios loads?

Also continual reboots can be caused by excessive heat, check the hardware monitor in the bios, or an electrical short between the motherboard and the case, so check all the standoffs are OK and did you use the washers between the standoffs and the board? Again this is unlikely if you can enter the bios and it sits there stable.

when I fitted a new motherboard to this pc I did a clean install.

can you remove your hard drive and connect it to another pc and copy your files to the other pc, do a clean install, remove the drive again, copy the files back?

Sion 11:21 16 Mar 04

Its ok guys, ran the XP repair procedure and am back in XP !! Cheers for the help andy, you saved me buying a new hard drive pal.

Oh and temp003, the reason i said change my motherboard is that i had to put my old motherboard back in to get on the net and ask for help!

Thanks for all the help guys. If I had any gold stars on me, you'd all be getting one right now !

thanks again.

temp003 11:35 16 Mar 04

LOL - I see, replacing the motherboard, yes. The repair was quick.

Make sure you re-apply Windows updates, especially the Blaster patch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…