New motherboard needed

phil 00:24 05 Jan 10

Been told today that my PC's Motherboard has fried and so I'm now looking for a new one.

The dead 'un was an Asus K7V in a Mesh PC made in 2005. The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. The graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500, the memory is 1.5 Gb DDR and the drive is a Maxtor B200M0 500GB Sata drive.

What I'm looking for is a new board that will take all those and also have a wireless capability, USB2 or preferably 3 (I presume it'll be backwards compatible) and plenty of them.

I've already spotted an Asus M2N32-SLI DELUXE/WIFI-AP and wondered if that would be ok or is there something better for around the same price, £60.

OTT_Buzzard 11:15 05 Jan 10

Personally I wouldn't bother with USB3 compatibility at the moment. It's early days at the moment and not all of the interface standards have been worked out yet. If you want to go that way in the future you'll likely be able to get a USB3 PCI card.

I've just done a very brief check on the M2N32 mobo you've suggested and it looks like it won't take you graphics card or RAM....or processor.

I don't think you'll find a board that will take the rest of your hardware and has wireless built in - it's too old for that. Will post back a suggestion on what to get later. Got some work type stuff to do now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017