New motherboard installation

Larry Lamb 19:46 07 May 09

I put a new motherboard into my son’s computer hoping to make it run faster. Once up and running it does run quicker but the strange thing is it takes an age to get to the stage where it starts to boot up. He does not get the POST screen immediately, it sort of hangs for quite a while before the POST screen shows on the screen. Any one any ideas why?

MAJ 19:52 07 May 09

You might need to do a repair of the Windows installation, if you didn't format the drive and reinstall Windows from scratch after installing the new motherboard. Explain *EXACTLY* what you did to install the new motherboard.

Larry Lamb 20:03 07 May 09

I made a note of all the connections to the old motherboard before I took it out, checked all the connections in the manual that came with the new 'board and installed it making sure that all the connections were correct, as I said it runs OK when it gets past the bootup stage the problem is that it takes a long while to boot up would Windows affect the boot up stage?

I didn't format the hard drive before installing the new 'board.

MAJ 20:11 07 May 09

"would Windows affect the boot up stage?"

It would if the correct motherboard drivers weren't installed. Do a Windows repair and load the new motherboard's drivers, they should have come on a disk supplied with the new board. As a matter of interest, is the new board the same make and model as the old board?

phono 20:14 07 May 09

Check for a setting in the BIOS for "Quick Boot" or "Quick Power On Self Test" see click here for an explanation, if there is a setting, and I am sure there is, enable it, save settings and reboot.

phono 20:20 07 May 09

AS the slow down is in the initial POST stages Windows will have no bearing on the initial boot speed.

Larry Lamb
Check device manager for any conflicts or device errors when Windows has loaded, that way you can put your mind at ease as to whether or not it is Windows slowing the boot process.

It may be that you were supplied a motherboard with the same chipset as the original and this would explain why you may have no device conflicts or errors. I suspect this may be the case as you state that the PC runs normally after it has loaded Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…