New Motherboard existing hard drive

dean_e_boy 18:48 12 Feb 04

I want to buy a new motherboard and processor but am not to keen on reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows. Is this neccessary or can I keep my data on my hard drive and just plug it into my new Motherbaord?

Diodorus Siculus 18:54 12 Feb 04

There could be problems there as your hdd will have drivers, configurations etc for the current mobo. A backup of all your data, settings etc and a clean install of your OS would be recommended.

malgall 18:54 12 Feb 04

i changed my motherboard and processor and had no problems with windows xp i then changed the 3d card and still no problems it took a virus to make me re install xp
in the past when i had win 98 i did find i had to wipe my hard drive and start again after an upgrade
i would suggest give it a go back up anything vital and upgade see what happens if you have got win xp your chances are good you will be alright

good luck

temp003 02:40 13 Feb 04

I would always recommend a format and reinstall, but you will always hear conflicting reports as to whether a new motherboard will work without a reinstall.

It really depends on how different the components on the old and new motherboards are. If you happen to have similar chipsets, disk controllers and so on, you might get away with the old hardware drivers.

The NT platform OS's are actually supposedly stricter with their driver requirements, and so the chances of a successful transfer without a reinstall on w2k and XP should be smaller, but then malgall above had a different experience (just goes to show!)

With a change of motherboard, I would back up at least your personal data (programs and windows settings can be reset easily).

Then try to boot up from the old disk on the new motherboard. If it doesn't work, do a repair installation (installing over the top of the existing OS without reformatting). The new hardware will be detected and new drivers installed. This way, you keep all programs and data. But you will have to reinstall all Windows updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac