new motherboard and cpu installe, dead computer!!!

styven 09:38 07 Sep 03

I have replaced the motherboard and processor in my old HP Pavilion PC.

Old spec celeron 533, intle 810 chipset MB.
New spec celeron 1.8, sis651 chipset MB.

When i switch on with new parts installed all that happens is the power supply fan and cpu fan whirr away. Ican't get anything up on the monitor except "check video connection" and my cd rom won't do anything, not even open.

If i put everything back to how it was, old board etc, all is fine.

Could my power supply be the problem??.
spec input 240v output 140w max.

Bodi 09:42 07 Sep 03

won't do any harm, but are you sure

a) that your motherboard is capable of running the upgraded CPU? Check the manual

b) Is the new CPU set up properly? Are there jumper settings on the board that have to be altered. Again check the manual.

Bodi

styven 09:54 07 Sep 03

The board supports the CPU.

I can't find any reference to jumper settings in the manual.

Legolas 09:57 07 Sep 03

Some M/Bs require the cmos to be cleared to allow it to boot, there should be a jumper on the M/B to allow you to do this, worth a try.

Bodi 09:59 07 Sep 03

Right styven, I would try a new PSU and then see what happens.

If everything else checks out as you say, I would tend to agree with your first diagnosis.

Good luck

Bodi

goonerbill 15:07 07 Sep 03

ya old psu only has a 140watt max output, that more than likely is the problem. cant remember what each component uses ( wattage wise ) but new mobo's and cpu's are quite power hungry and of course all the other items in ya pc need power.

have cpu amd 2500+, 2 h/drives, sound card, modem, graphics card, dvd rom, cd-writer which run from a 450 watt psu

Peverelli 16:12 07 Sep 03

I had a problem with new mobo, turned out that the keyboard and mouse connectors had been wired the wrong way around!! I swapped the mouse and keyboard around and everything was fine. Worth a try?

agarm11 16:18 07 Sep 03

Just a thought, try reseating the Ram, I had a major nightmare with a similar problem, took me ages to find that the ram wasn't quite seated properly, even though it looked like it was.

SEASHANTY 16:34 07 Sep 03

There must be some jumper settings somewhere. Also some dip settings to set the CPU voltage click here

JMG 18:28 07 Sep 03

I would tend to agree, a 140Watt PSU is woefully short on power for todays components. I would change that for a modern high powered version. (450 + is the norm)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…