New Motherboard & CPU: Aaarrgghhh!

Peverelli 13:20 12 Jun 03

I've bought a new motherboard (ASRock K7VT2) and Athlon XP2400+ CPU, fitted said items and on starting up the computer the POST got as far as recognising HDs and CD/DVD ROMs and then stopped as though it was waiting for something.

Eventually I restarted the computer to be faced with a blank screen and a series of three beeps coming from the computer's speaker (apparently "A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad" - AMI legal BIOS). I have checked all connections and re-seated the RAM (1x 512Mb, 1x 256Mb - both SDR PC133), also tried one RAM stick at a time with the same result.

Have now put old MoBo and CPU back in and everything is working normally. Will leave the old components in for now, any suggestions will be welcomed.

Windows XP Home with service pack 1.

Peverelli 13:26 12 Jun 03

Sorry, should be AMD 2400+ CPU - but you knew that anyway ;o)

Peverelli 13:27 12 Jun 03

AMD XP2400+ CPU

The Transporter 13:52 12 Jun 03

go to the website of the manufacurer and downoad it. Also makesure the fsb is set correctly as well as the multiplier in the voltages/settings choice in the bios.

use google to find clock settings.

Peverelli 14:09 12 Jun 03

Thanks for your reply but...

Old Motherboard uses a different BIOS, will downloading another BIOS cause problems while still using old Motherboard? FSB has 2 alternatives, 100 & 133 and I've tried both. How do I find the correct "multiplier in the voltages/settings choice in the bios"? There are no clues in the manual and, obviously, I can't check the BIOS for the ASRock K7VT2.

Peverelli 14:41 12 Jun 03

Off to work now, back around midnight.

The Sack 15:00 12 Jun 03

Asrock is a division of Asus and are notoriously fussy with RAM. go in to the BIOS and set the RAM timings yourself rather than letting the SPD of the RAM doing it, this may help.

Diemmess 15:09 12 Jun 03

A simple part answer about new BIOS........No, downloading a new BIOS will not affect any motherboard until you RUN the downloaded program.

Diemmess 15:11 12 Jun 03

Tack on to my last. A new BIOS will usually copy to, and run from a floppy which means you can run it when it suits you before even installing Windows

Peverelli 00:20 13 Jun 03

OK, thanks. Will D/L the BIOS, but of course I won't be able to use it until I can get something to happen when the new board goes back in.

woodchip 00:27 13 Jun 03

Check FSB for memory, It may not support the speed you have it set to

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant