New Motherboard Compatibility

karl_a 16:33 04 Dec 05

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard and processor from a PCChips M863G motherboard and an AMD processor (Unknown type. Runs very slow) to a MSI 661FM-L socket 478 and to an Intel Pentium 4 3GHz FSB800 1Mb cache (Prescott). I shall be using these components on Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Please could someone tell me if these components are compatible with each other? Also, what wattage PSU do I need for the motherboard. (I know I currently own an ATX PSU) Oh, and one more thing, please may I have a simple definition of the term 'Prescott'?

Thanks in advance,
Karl.

Diodorus Siculus 17:45 04 Dec 05

MSI --- >> Mainboard
"? Supports IntelĀ® P4 Socket 478 Celeron/Northwood processors up to 3.2GHz.
? Supports IntelĀ® P4 Socket 478 Prescott/P4 Extreme Edition processors up to 3.0GHz(Prescott) / 3.4GHz(P4 EE)."
click here

Get at least a 350W PSU - a branded one is likely best as cheaper ones aren't always reliable / stable.

Prescott: Information From Answers.com
"Prescott

The code name for the first Pentium 4 chip to use the 90 nanometer (0.09 micron) process technology. Introduced in early 2004 with clock speeds from 2.8 to 3.4GHz, model designations for the Prescott use an "E;" for example, Pentium 4 3.4E GHz."
click here;jsessionid=4fjnaef0pksrj?method=4&dsid=1512&dekey=Prescott&gwp=8&curtab=1512_1&sbid=lc01a&linktext=Prescott

Diodorus Siculus 17:46 04 Dec 05

click here second link

karl_a 20:44 04 Dec 05

Thanks for the help! I have read the two sites you linked to and it has helped. I have just found out that my PSU is 400W. Will this motherboard be OK with that rating? I saw that in the manual that I downloaded, MSI recommend one 300W or higher...

Thanks again,
Karl

Diodorus Siculus 21:39 04 Dec 05

Your PSU should be ok - certainly strong enough. It will depend on the connectors on it though - that is more important.

Stuartli 21:47 04 Dec 05

As you have XP, once you have upgraded your components, set the Bios to Boot From CD and then do a Repair (NOT Recovery Console) XP installation.

XP doesn't always like a new mobo and a Repair overcomes it.

Details on how to Repair XP, to save typing, can be found at:

click here

There are also a number of threads on the subject.

Stuartli 21:48 04 Dec 05

All your hard disk's contents will be retained with a Repair - you might also have to reinstall SP2.

karl_a 22:20 04 Dec 05

I shall not worry about the non-compatibility problems...they shall be fixed. I am planning to do a FULL format of my 2 HDDs (filled with clutter) and re-install Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2. I have all of the necessary resources, and shall back up all that's necessary...

Thanks people,
Karl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…