NEW MOTHERBOARD - CAN'T KICK START

normskiii 17:43 25 Oct 03

have i gone a bit too far with my DIY.....

was inspired by pcmag to install new motherboard and graphics card but on start-up computer keeps on crashing and re-starting.....only to repeat crash/re-boot....crash/re-boot.

ran win 98 setup using boot disk into DOS but get message part way through copying files:
SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.exe at 0001.EDB.......

i'm now in big trouble for 'tinkering because my wife's files are on the hd.

plse advise and many thanks..

powerless 17:47 25 Oct 03
  Legolas 17:49 25 Oct 03

If you have two sticks of memory installed on your M/B try removing one and running your setup again.

Rtus 17:59 25 Oct 03

am I correct in saying your using your old Hard drive with the old system intact with the new motherboard & graphics card ! Can I suggest If youve room to run Partition magic from floppy create a Partition for your new System to go on hide your old partition to Make sure you install Windows to that New partition & make it Active, You should then be able to reclaim those important files..as long as you havent wiped em ..

DieSse 18:14 25 Oct 03

I think Legolas is on the right track - SUWIN errors are commonly due to a RAM problem.

Have you used your old RAM in the new board - did you set the board up correctly for it?

keith-236785 18:41 25 Oct 03

let us know what your old/new motherboards are, make/model.

then someone may be able to offer more specific help.

try disconnecting all drives except for the hard drive, sometimes the cdrom wont go on the same ide controller as the hard drive and crashes the system.

normskiii 19:11 25 Oct 03

that is correct.... i'm using my old hard drive, floppy etc with the system intact.
MoBO also fitted with new single stick 256MB PC2100 DDR fitted to slot 1.
on checking the BIOS i've now adjusted RAM frequency to 266 and now checking if 'setup works......and feeling more confident, perhaps 'out of the dog house.....many thanks.

woodchip 19:25 25 Oct 03

The problem for me is that it is still configured for the old motherboard. Try starting in safe mode to see if it will go. If it will you will have to copy your drivers form the CD in dos after starting with a Win98 floppy disc or download A Dos Driver for you CD drive so you can access it. Then when you have got the drivers on to the Hard Drive you can start up again in safe mode and load the drivers the reason for doing it this way is you cannot get at your CD drive in safe mode to load the drivers from. you need to copy motherboard and graphic's drivers

normskiii 15:43 26 Oct 03

i've found 'bent pin on the hd IDE cable socket......ooops. don't know how i managed that.
have fixed this and got the system 'sort of working and loaded R9200 graphics card driver.

However system is still very unstable and keeps on crashing auto re-booting. have reformatted hd but during setup now still keeps crashing.

fortunately managed to save all document files onto zip drive...

could there be something in the BIOS i've missed?

woodchip 15:56 26 Oct 03

Put a Desk fan near the Comp with the side off. to see if it is overheating

woodchip 15:56 26 Oct 03

Or use a Hair Dryer on COLD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…