New Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X & BIOS file saving

Giggle n' Bits 15:18 14 Jun 03

I have fitted a new Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and would like to save the BIOS as the manual says for emergency backup.

The manual for the Motherboard mentions a Bootable floppy disk. I know that a Formatted Floppy has some system files hidden away but is this ok to use this floppy to back up the BIOS of the new motherboard or would the hidden system files cause harm ?.

I will maybe then want to update the BIOS at a later date if I change to a higher CPU.

Manual mentions using a Bootable floppy disk for the back up procedure, does anyone have any easy to follow step by step instruction on this please.

BIOS updates is something I have never done for motherboards and want to add the knowledge as a learing curve if any one can help.

Bodi 16:40 14 Jun 03

I don't know whether this is applicable to your particular board (the one I'm contemplating buying) but on the CD received with my A7V266E board there was the following:

-Aflash
-Readme.txt -Information on how to use the AFlash BIOS utility V1.37.
-Aflash.exe -Utility to update the motherboard's flash BIOS.

(This was in the "Software" folder)

Hope this helps.

Bodi

Bebee 17:38 14 Jun 03

I bought the same MB recently. The instructions say the bootable floppy should not have autoexec.bat and something else (sorry can't remember - it's in the manual). You need a floppy with the system files rather than the Windows recovery disk. How you do this depends on your OS. Win 98 gives the option to format and copy system files to make a bootable floppy (right clic on the floppy drive icon and choose format)- for some obscure reason this option has been removed from Win ME. Not sure about XP. I found this site that has the files to create a bootable floppy click here created the disk and then follwed the Asus instructions.

Hope this helps.

Giggle n' Bits 20:19 14 Jun 03

Thanks for the info, sorry if I am sounding a bit thick with my next question:-

Ok is this what I do:- Get a blank formatted floppy and reformat copying the system files or can I use the Boot disk what your use for installing say Win98 O/s even though this pc will have a WinXP when I install it fresh on new HDD ?.

i get mixed up and confused between a Boot disk & a start up disk and then I know that WinXp does not need a floppy to install that o/s so there is actually no XP floppy boot disk apart from the click here site.

Again thanks for the imput Bebee & Bodi ! I will also view the file of the motherboard CD.

clayton 21:22 14 Jun 03

on the cd that came with your motherboard you should find Asus live update you can use this software to update your bios via the internet or save your current bios to file.

Giggle n' Bits 21:29 14 Jun 03

Just setting up the BIOS.

Bebee 21:51 14 Jun 03

Hi Charteck

The Asus handbook says you can't use the boot disk for Win 98/ME. Use the the disk from bootdisk.com for this - or if you have access to a Win 98 computer you can right click the floppy disk icon in My Computer, choose format and copy system files - then you can copy the Asus files to this from the CD. If you haven't got a working system yet, I think you will have to load your OS to make use of the utilities on the CD.

It won't matter which OS your using if you need to restore the saved bios, as you won't be working in windows, you'll boot to DOS using the floppy.

Good luck with the setup. I've been really pleased with mine.

Don't worry about sounding thick - it took me a while to get my head round it, especially when I discovered ME couldn't create the disk I needed.

It's worth taking time to read the Bios instructions in the manual and having all the backup stuff on disk - but hopefully you'll never need it! The Asus utilities look quite easy to use if you ever do need them though. You can run the program without flashing/restoring the bios to make sure your disks work before you put them away.

Giggle n' Bits 22:16 14 Jun 03

I understand it now.

Will leave post open to I can find my it for ref later this weekend then close it after.

Thanks Bebee !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…