new motherboard advice

immer 22:25 18 Jun 05

If I get a new motherboard can I keep my old operating system. ?

dan11 22:28 18 Jun 05

It is possible. click here

DieSse 23:17 18 Jun 05

Of course you can.

DieSse 23:19 18 Jun 05

D you mean without re-installing - that's a more difficult question.

It's best to re-install, as the motherboard drivers will be different, and a clean install is the "best" way.

immer 09:32 19 Jun 05

I have 2 PC's, one W98 & one (modern) WXPss2. The XP keeps going down with ***STOP:0x000000F4(0x00000003, etc etc & I'm getting opinions it's to do with the RAM. I need to work with the XP. can I just swop the C drivers over on the two PC's I continue that way....& sort out my "modern" hardware wia a W98 driver?

AndySD 09:45 19 Jun 05

To check the RAM click here or click here

Rayuk 10:07 19 Jun 05

Unless its an identical motherboard it depends which version of XP you have,you may have problems if it is an oem version.Retail will be ok.

DieSse 11:04 19 Jun 05

There are two issues -

Firstly - XP will almose certainly want to be re-activated due to a significant hardware change. If it won't re-activate automatically, you will have to talk to MS by phone - I'm sure they will be sympathetic if you explain the situation, and I wouldn't expect a problem

Secondly - XP may or may not run, due to the hardware differences. If it does, it will spend considerable effort redefining the hardware it's working on, and may not run efficiently. If it doesn't, you will have to spend time feeding in the motherboard drivers and generally messing about to get it to run.

Remember also that you will have to do the same in reverse when you change back again.

Can you not simply transfer the important data across so that you can continue work on the older system, whilst you repair the newer one?

Stuartli 13:51 19 Jun 05

The way to keep your present XP OS, data etc on a hard drive that's being switched to a new motherboard is to do an XP Repair once the HDD has been installed (XP doesn't always like it if you use the installed version immediately on a new mobo).

First ensure that the Bios is set to boot from CDROM and insert your XP CD-ROM into the drive.

When the system boots, you will be asked if you wish to Install XP - Agree. You will again be asked if you wish to Install or go to the Recovery Console - again select Install.

Windows will then come up with the message that a previous version of the OS is already on the system and do you wish to continue to Install or Repair? This time select Repair (press R).

After that the installation will continue as usual (you will require your Product Key for entry near the finish). Once the installation is completed you should also reinsall SP2 immediately and update XP as soon as possible.

This method retains all your data etc.

I did it successfully about a month ago after installing a new motherboard.

Rayuk 14:28 19 Jun 05

click here
Installing motherboard without reinstalling windows.

Also if you have oem version dont think Stuartlis instructions will work[doesnt take long to try it though]

Rayuk 14:31 19 Jun 05

A little more light reading for you
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…