New Motherboard

jam500 04:04 27 Jan 07

Hi, I have a P4 motherboard from gigabyte socket 478 (yes old) and i would like to upgrade my motherboard for another 478 board. Problem is, when i put it alltogether and boot up what problems might i encounter. The main one of course would be the motherboard driver would be differant, I am running xp, Would this detect new hardware and ask for the driver disk or is there more involved. Thanks in advance for your help.

SLAYER 08:48 27 Jan 07
  jack 09:02 27 Jan 07

Slayer has given you lot to read up- so go for it.
The simple answer is however you are steering into big trouble.
Primarliy XP will not run,and the main drive configuration will detect new instruction set.
This will mean a reformat.
XP will then be illegal because it has been transferred to a 'New computer' so registering all over will be required
So get everything backed up on to disks or expernall HDD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:11 27 Jan 07

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

jam500 18:37 27 Jan 07

Thanks Slayer, Jack, Fruit Bat. That was alot to read through and to be honest i am just as confused as when i started. Some say just install motherboard and see what happens, XP should sort it out and others say to remove stuff that im not 100% sure how to and is confusing the hell out of me. I dont want to buy a new board and screw it up as the wife will kill me or worse. Another thing i forgot to metion is that XP was preinstalled and i dont have an XP cd, I only have the sticker on the side of the case and a floppy disk, I think its a recover one. Help where do i go from here.

jack 17:54 28 Jan 07

Stay as you are then if the existing machines performs what you want
or buy the next computer

The system will not recognise the new MoBo

Stuartli 18:01 28 Jan 07

I've twice installed a new motherboard and, each time, on first bootup I've done an XP Repair.

The reason is that XP doesn't always "take" to a new mobo and a Repair overcomes the problem. See:

click here

for a straightforward guide to save typing it out.

XP will not be rendered "illegal" as it hasn't been transferred to a new computer - it's just a component change.

Stuartli 18:05 28 Jan 07

An XP Repair will retain your programs, applications, configuration etc., although a backup would be wise just in case anything does go wrong.

jam500 19:42 28 Jan 07

Thanks all, I think i am mentally ready to do it and have read alot on the subject, All i have to do now is wait for the new board to arrive. I am very gratefull to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5