New Motherboard

Yorkie 1 17:22 14 Jan 06

I am having to replace my motherboard. To avoid having to reinstall windows and all that goes with it, I would dearly love to relace it with an identical one. Any ideas as to where I can purchase a Soltek SL-85DR3-C/SL85DR3-CL.

rmcqua 17:29 14 Jan 06

Hi Yorkie 1
Whatever type of motherboard you replace your old one with, you shouldn't need to reinstall Windows, as the operating system "lives" on your hard drive, not your m/b.
The Soltek m/b you mention is at least 2.5 years old and I would not expect you to be able to find an exact replacement easily. Best to decide what main features (processor, expansion cards etc.) you need to accomodate and buy a more recent m/b based on that.

ade.h 17:31 14 Jan 06

But which one do you wnat? The C or the CL? They may be sufficiently different to cause problems.

There is a workaround that involves using the Repair option on the XP CD.

ade.h 17:32 14 Jan 06

Windows will not work without either:

A re-installation or,

A repair.

ade.h 17:32 14 Jan 06

Should say "not work properly" to be precise.

Yorkie 1 17:33 14 Jan 06

Hi rmcqua,
Thanks for the reply, I was told that the operating system and the programmes would need to be reinstalled and only the data would stay safe. It seems I will need to question my advisor.
Thanks again

hzhzhz 17:35 14 Jan 06

Best I can do.click here

Yorkie 1 17:37 14 Jan 06

Hi ade.h,
Again I am not sure I don't attempt these repairs myself, at 77 I am getting a bit long in the tooth. It all stems from a problem I have with starting from cold in the mornings, I have tried a new Power unit with no luck and my advisor tells me that in all probability it is a new mother board needed the manual has the 2 numers on the front, I don't know which is which.

ade.h 17:44 14 Jan 06

click here to get Everest. But since your board is fairly old, I think that rmcqua is right to suggest that it won't be available, at least not new.

The model numbers are because that manual covers both versions. Not uncommon, especially if one version has a few extra features.

I am told by reliable sources on this forum that the repair option is usually a valid alternative to a complete re-install. The details of it are sketchy though, but I think you would have to carry it out after the new board is fitted but BEFORE Windows boots up. In other words, boot from the CD first!

Yorkie 1 17:46 14 Jan 06

Thanks to all, what would we do without you.

ade.h 17:49 14 Jan 06

If you just let Windows boot with a new board, every driver for every device that goes through the board will be installed again by Win XP, and that includes the half-dozen or so drivers that the various motherboard components use. Because these components are new to your XP installation, you would be very lucky if it booted at all and if it did boot, it may well struggle with all the new devices being installed alongside similar devices that crucially have not yet been uninstalled. A repair will help to sort this out without losing any of your files or programs. I cannot guarantee that it will work though, because I have always done a clean installation when changing a motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…