New motherboard

mikeyb59 16:18 16 Mar 04

Having just bought an Asus A7N8X-X mobo to replace my Jetway 266B I have a silly question.

Is there any way of replacing mobo's without a full format and re-install?

Diemmess 17:01 16 Mar 04

In a situation like this, try "never to let go both ends."

As far as possible you should make every sort of backup you might need before you do the motherboard swop.

Take meticulous care to get all the connections right, perhaps leave one or two peripherals unconnected for the first switch on, and be ready for all sorts of error messages or weird display.

The CD that came with the motherboard should clear most anomalies. There's no hard law that says you must re-install, just as there is no guarantee it will be snag free.

I have got away with a replacement Mobo and CPU for daughter and her schoolchildren when the Mobo failed, but that computer was not a screaming, ambitious, cutting edge tech. The humbler one needed almost no tweaking.

mikeyb59 17:04 16 Mar 04

Thanks for that. Having replaced mobo's in the past I know what a pain it can be.

Will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens!

ed-210134 17:22 16 Mar 04

Is it possible to replace a new mother board, in a old mini tower or will it be wise to buy a new ATX. thanks ED

JerryJay 17:40 16 Mar 04

(1) Make proper backup
(2) Uninstall softwares which support your original motherboard, NOTHING else.
(3) Replace MB
(4) Bootup
(5) Install software come with your new MB.
(6) Make a cup of tea and enjoy.

Rayuk 18:12 16 Mar 04

click here
Have a look through see if it applies.

mikeyb59 16:23 17 Mar 04

Hi all. Installed new board today and unfortunately Windows failed to start. Tried a repair with no joy so had no choice but to do a full reload.

The new board seems much "smoother", thanks to all for your suggestions.

Just have to spend the next few days re-installing all my software - Oh joy!

One final thought - had to install AVG as anti-virus today as Norton 2004 had repeated errors while trying to load. Any ideas?

woodchip 16:41 17 Mar 04

It would be good to start you own thread on your motherboard, but if you have a AT case then it will not take a ATX Motherboard also the PSU is different connection to the board

mikeyb59 17:42 17 Mar 04

When I power up the system the POST screen does its normal thing but refers to "single channel memory". I have read throught the book but can find no mention of this.

If its any help I have 2 x 256mB DDR PC2100 memory chips fitted in slots 1 & 2

JerryJay 18:01 17 Mar 04

(1) Norton 2004 has been known conflict with certain systems, you could try Norton support to find out. Personally, I do not like Norton, it is too powerful, it just install thing all over place want to take over control of your PC. I like very early Norton product, such as Norton commander.

(2) Such motherboard support double channel memory, but some board need to set this up in bios setting and two sticks of Ram must be bought in pair as double channel pair. Two sticks which are not double channel pair may support double channel memory, but not always the case. Anyway, there is performance difference between single channel and double channel, but the difference is not big.

Rayuk 18:07 17 Mar 04

I think you will find that this motherboard doesnt use dual channel memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…