New monitor - TFT/CRT

Ironman556 18:21 10 May 03

Sorry for yet another post on these, I've read everything I can find on the PCA site. I'm currently looking around to build a 2nd PC (my first self-build). I want fairly high specs (AMD 2400/2600, GF4 Ti 4200/Radeon Pro equivalent, as an idea) and want to check that I wouldn't be wasting money on a display that's not up to the standard of the rest of the system. My uses are gaming (a fair amount)& DVD's, but also word processing and possibly using a CAD program.

I've read the articles on flat-panels in the Jun 03 issue of PCA. From what I've made of it the flat-panels are getting better and I shouldn't have any problems running games.

Size is an issue, but CRT would be preferred over a noticeable loss in performance.

I have a maximum budget of about £300 for a flat-panel, which is why the article on page 47 for the LG Flatron 1710B looked particularly good. Anyone got/used one of these and are they good/bad?

One other thing I've noticed, but havn't found anything written about anywhere is that some games will play with a "margin" of black around the edge on my current AOC 7, but I've seen the same games played on an LCD and they've been scaled up into full screen.

Are there any better deals at the moment or are pices likely to fall within the next 1 or 2 months? I don't need speakers inbuilt, especially if it pushes the price up, and I'd like it to be in black and/or silver.

Any feedback in general or specific to certain monitors will be appreciated. Thanks, Ironman.

Ironman556 18:26 10 May 03

"I don't need speakers inbuilt, especially if it pushes the price up, and I'd like it to be in black and/or silver." - I didn't mean that to sound like I'm trying to get people to do my searching for me, I'm not.

Rayuk 20:00 10 May 03

If you are going to do a lot of cad work CRT is the route to follow,if only occassionally dont suppose it matters as much.
Re games on your pc have you tried adjusting your settings to fill screen??

Ironman556 10:53 11 May 03

Thanks for the response. TFT is looking good :-)

I've got the drivers installed properly for the card, but don't have any software adjusters so I have to do everything on the monitor, which then makes thge screen size wrong when returning to windows. Thanks for the tip anyway.

jbaker65 11:18 11 May 03

Hi, Ironman, watch the ALDI stores as they often have Medion TFT's in. In the last 3 months they have gone down from £179 to £159 and Medion has had some good reviews. Good luck, John Baker.

DieSse 11:24 11 May 03

I've actually tried a number of CRT and TFT monitors, and I have to say I still prefer a CRT display. It's difficult to describe what I see as the difference, - it's not sharpness, it's not contrast, it's not brightness, and it's not flicker - somehow the TFTs just don't look quite right in comparison.

One thing is still for sure, CTR monitors are still significantly less expensive.

DieSse 11:27 11 May 03

I've actually tried a number of CRT and TFT monitors, and I have to say I still prefer a CRT display. It's difficult to describe what I see as the difference, - it's not sharpness, it's not contrast, it's not brightness, and it's not flicker - somehow the TFTs just don't look quite right in comparison. In one particular, scrolling - no TFT display I have seen (which is not all of them, of course), is anywhere near as good as a CTR for smoothness

One thing is still for sure, CTR monitors are still significantly less expensive.

DieSse 11:28 11 May 03

Sorry about that - pressed a button too soon!

Rayuk 11:34 11 May 03

For games the lowest response rate is what to watch out for some say 25ms or less,but as you can get 16ms now I would edge towards them.
Just looked the LG1710 is 20ms so is ok.
Have a walk into pcworld if you can and have a look at them.

Ironman556 22:22 11 May 03

jbaker65

I'll have a bit of a look at the medion's.

DieSse

When you say "scrolling" do you mean that a scrolling banner or moving windows round isn't smooth? Or is it somthing more technical?

Rayuk

That's one of the reasons I thought the LG looked quite good, especially for the price. Unfortunately the faster the response rate the higher the price. Still I'll keep an eye out for the 16ms refershes. I think I'll take your advice and take a look in PC world to have a play before I buy.

Thanks to everyone again.

woodchip 22:41 11 May 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…