New Monitor needed TFT or CRT?

fritwash 13:41 28 Jan 05

My CRT monitor no longer works and I was thinking of upgrading to a TFT one, I have a digital camera and use photoshop to tweak my pictures.

I have been told it may be worth sticking with CRT as they give a better view when using programs such as Photoshop especially when zooming in, something to do with the pixels, which is a bit beyond me.

Could you give me any advice and recommendations for monitors please.

Cheers

€dstowe 13:47 28 Jan 05

Probably the best thing to do is to go you your nearest dealer/shop/computer superstore and look at both types, especially a TFT if you're used to a CRT.

It's very much a personal thing. Myself, I wouldn't give a TFT a second look, I can't get on with them at all yet some of my staff wouldn't use anything else.

If you do go and have a look , don't just give a casual glance. Spend some time looking at it and, preferably, doing something on a machine fitted with a TFT to see if it suits you.

Djohn 14:16 28 Jan 05

in that it will be better to try one first. €dstowe is also very experienced in the type of work that you require a monitor for. I use a TFT and would not dream of going back to a CRT monitor. It does depend on the type you choose though and there are several types of TFT panel.

The ones with a faster response time for playing of games tend to have a narrow viewing angle, [Not all of them] Look for one that has a viewing angle of 175 degrees in both plains and you will be very close to what a CRT can produce in quality of display when viewed from various angles.

My 17" TFT has a wide viewing angle and gives the same even display if sat down or stood up in front of the monitor or if I move to one side. The colours only start to fade out if I move a considerable distance to the left or right of the panel.

Previous TFT monitor had a viewing angle of 125x140 degrees and I needed only to move my head up/down or to the right/left by a small amount to see the colours and brightness fade to an unacceptable amount.

961 14:26 28 Jan 05

I have been a great advocate of CRT both for price and quality

In the last 6 months however, TFT has moved on in terms of response time and in lower prices

If you are after quality in colour and quality for editing digital photos then I would still, for the moment, stick with CRT

However, for convenience and the space on the desktop plus a similar price, I think TFT is now moving ahead

The only minus factor is the dead pixel syndrome

These are less common than they were but they are still a factor if you end up with a screen that is less than perfect

You need a deal that will enable you to return the screen that has them

citadel 22:30 28 Jan 05

I would recommend the hyundi imagequest 19" , even though its a 19" it is a compact design and does not take up a lot of space.

Totally-braindead 22:33 28 Jan 05

I like my TFT and don't think I'd go back to a CRT but as has been pointed out its a preference thing. The advice to go look at them is a good one. If you do get a TFT then make sure they play a game or DVD on it as some of them aren't good at moving images, they're blurry.

JonnyTub 22:34 28 Jan 05

get a tft, unless your using your monitor for professional applications you wont see the difference

woodchip 22:38 28 Jan 05

Any type of Photo or Drawing is better on a Crt. A Graphics workshop would not use TFT

JonnyTub 00:14 29 Jan 05

exactly a graphics workshop, pro's.........

Sonic21 00:21 29 Jan 05

I have just gone through the same decision but had decided i wanted a TFT from the outset.

I bought the Viewsonic VE902m its a 19" and cost £250 it had great reviews ive had it 3 weeks and think its great.

Mango Grummit 01:10 29 Jan 05

I use one of each every day, in almost equal measure, and find that I have no real preference either way. So I would say TFT for style and space-saving and CRT for value for money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…