New modem/router recommendations please

hastelloy 15:44 03 Jul 10
Answered

I have always used a Belkin router so far - my current one sometimes fails to connect and needs a reboot. I am concerned that this may be a sign that total failure is on the way (as happened with my previous one).

As I am about to treat myself to a new desktop, I thought it might be a good time to get a replacement router. I've done a bit of research and come up with click here.

I'd be grateful for any comments based on personal experience please. When I get my new machine, I'll be connecting 2 desktops via ethernet and a laptop using wireless.

john bunyan 16:02 03 Jul 10

I had a few problems with a Linksys and bought a Belkin N+. I was told it has a lifetime guarantee. Pleased with it - have it ethernet wired to desktop and wireless to laptop .

Pineman100 18:52 03 Jul 10

Are you sure it's your router that's at fault?

My last (desktop) computer connected to my Belkin router with a USB wi-fi adapter. Like you, I quite often had to boot the computer twice in order to get the adapter to talk to the router.

I now have a laptop with built-in wi-fi and it connects to the Belkin flawlessly every time.

However, if you're certain that the router is failing, I'm now a fan of Netgear kit (wish I'd bought one in the first place). I suggest you buy a Netgear router with wireless "n" capability. I know that your new computer will be connected via ethernet (and I presume your laptop is wireless "g") but it makes sense to have the latest 802.11n protocol router, to future-proof yourself.

Strawballs 18:57 03 Jul 10

I would go with Linksys, I have had one for about 5 yrs now and has never missed a beat.

rdave13 19:01 03 Jul 10

Just to put a spoke in the wheel, the best thing I did, was to get rid of my Netgear router and go for a D-Link 'N' one.
Each to their own.
Noticed that another forum member recommends Netgear but with unofficial firmware.

Strawballs 21:21 03 Jul 10
Answer

I think these days each of the big name brands are pretty similar.

woodchip 22:17 03 Jul 10

I have a 3Com but its a Old g this is the new n read click here

My old g as never been a problem used it first with Ntl world then Virgin now TalkTalk

Pineman100 08:49 04 Jul 10

Actually I think Strawballs is probably right. Not much to choose between the major brands nowadays.

hastelloy 14:43 04 Jul 10

As has been said many times before on this forum - a lot is down to personal preference.

I vote for Belkin. I for and 1 against Linksys. 1 for and 1 against Netgear. 1 for D-Link and 1 for 3Com.

I guess Stawballs is probably right and suspect that I'll probably go with my original choice.

Pineman100 - whilst I'm not 100% sure I'm almost certain its the router - my first one went the same way so I recognise the symptoms - Belkin did replace it for free so I can't fault their customer service.

Once again, thanks for your time and valued opinions.

hastelloy 14:45 04 Jul 10

The first 2 "I"s in the 2nd pargraph should be "1"s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…