New modem in XP home

Holographic_man 10:25 06 Mar 03

Have put a new modem in XP but all it wants to do is install its own modem. I have tried to remove it but as fast as you can say Bill Gates it installs it again, but I want my own. is there anyway of stopping the auto hardware finder to allow me to install my new modem?

Thanks

©®@$ђ 10:30 06 Mar 03

are you sure it is not installing the drivers for your new modem, have you let it do what it wants and try and use your modem it may work

©®@$ђ 10:31 06 Mar 03

uninstall old modem drivers before installing new modem

Holographic_man 10:33 06 Mar 03

the modem works ok, but I need to do a manual tweak to my modem and as XP has installed its own I am not able to do the above

Holographic_man 10:37 06 Mar 03

I have tried uninstalling old modem and drivers, and tried to add my own but it wont install because xp has tied up com port 3 so if I uninstall the modem it wants to install its own.

©®@$ђ 10:40 06 Mar 03

from device manager, right click ur modem, click update driver, then select "let me choose" instead auto search

©®@$ђ 10:57 06 Mar 03

click here

there is a way of doing what you want, but i can't remember how, infact i read it yesterday and have been searching where i found it, and i can't.

it was something to do with the registry, something about pci data, which stores the numeric codes of your hardware, and you remove the line refering to the pci device, and then it will not install the drivers..

i'm still trying to find it for you

Holographic_man 11:06 06 Mar 03

©®@$ђ what you said has worked fine thanks, new to xp only had it a week still fumbling around in the dark Cheers

©®@$ђ 11:10 06 Mar 03

glad to help, but this one has been bugging me, i came across what you wanted to do yesterday when i wasn't looking for it, and i can't find it now, typical, but i have just searched my registry and this is what i think it is from memory

in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI

and it gives you a list of devices, and removing the correct one, will stop xp from installing the driver for it at startup, havn't tried it myself, but it's supposed to work..

anyway glad your sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…