new modem install wont work

tinny76 11:45 09 May 03

I have just installed a new intell v.92 dial up pci modem card in my mates computer running 95. windows notices this and the driver seems to install fine. when i go to control pane to test however and click on it it says that there may be a port number problem???????
Does htis mean that i have to amnnualy set an IRQ number in the bios for this device??? what does it mean?????? anyone any ideas?????
Thanks in advance.

Gerrycan 12:03 09 May 03
  woodchip 12:38 09 May 03

No you have probably got the com port wrong, there may be a jumper on the modem card you can alter, check the instructions

woodchip 12:50 09 May 03

PS if there is a jumper, it will change IRQ and COM together

tinny76 00:42 10 May 03

cheers for the advice , ill have a look and see what i can do............

bowman 08:08 10 May 03

Have a look in the 'control panel' for a icon for 'Intel V92 Modem' you can set the com port from there. Well you can in mine? (win98se)

Hope this helps.

tinny76 10:35 10 May 03

cheers bowman,
daft question but what do i set it to? does it matter or do i just go to device manager and pick a com, any com that isnt being used?????
thanks in advance

woodchip 12:45 10 May 03

the modem is set to work on one Com port, unless you alter it as I said above it's finding the one that it's set for. it will be in instructions

woodchip 12:46 10 May 03

PS Read the Readme file or info on the Disc you got with the modem in explorer

bowman 13:31 10 May 03

I have mine set on com 2, you will also have to set the country to 'UK'... Default, I think is com 4?

There are no jumper settings on the Intel 536 V92 modem it,s all set up with software commands. This type of modem is not quite a 'Hardware' modem, more of a 50/50 some of the commands are programed into the onboard chipset and some are loaded through software. (So I've been lead to believe)

I hope we are talking the same modem, sorry if this is the wrong one.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…