new mobo and xp

rav4 15:05 04 Jan 04

i am going to install a new mobo,new processor and i run xp home, i have an evesham product recovery cd-rom and a consumer support cd version 8, what i need to know is when i change the mobo over can i still get xp up and running without losing everything on my hard drive?
It say's on the product recovery cd that the software was pre-installed onto the hard drive at the factory and can only be used for back up and recovery,i dont want to end up with a fast pc that i end up having to buy a new o/s for.

Rayuk 15:13 04 Jan 04

You could have trouble here as it will be an oem version of WinXP.Best if you can back everything up onto cd or dvd first in case it wont activate.

rav4 15:17 04 Jan 04

i thought you might say that, trouble is iv'so much to save photos etc,also if it doesnt run i will still end up having to buy a new copy of xp won't i ?

Rayuk 15:44 04 Jan 04

To late for you now but that is one of the reasons for partitioning your hard drive so photos documents etc can be stored seperately.

Am just putting this in as if you do need to start from scratch again you shuld consider partitioning the hard drive.

You could instal it and if you have to ring up Microsoft explain the the motherboard failed and you had to buy new motherboard and processor.

rav4 15:54 04 Jan 04

thanks rayuk,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…