New Mobo Test

Jakey boy 19:25 07 Jan 04

Ok, if this sounds stupid, just tell me! I have just purchased a new mobo and want to check if it's in working order. I have no cpu, memory, drives or anything else except the case & psu. Can I safely test via on-board LED by connecting and switching power on?

Gaz 25 21:13 07 Jan 04

I dont think this is possible with out expensive MOBO diagnostic hardware.

It would be cheaper to shove the rest of the components in.

Jakey boy 21:18 07 Jan 04

At least for the response. I thought I saw an earlier thread some time ago, where it was discussed in detail. Still, maybe someone else knows?

Gaz 25 21:34 07 Jan 04

I have always had to use hardware diagnostics. Without CPU and stuff there is no throughway without expensive equiptment to check the board.

Remember the throughput fopr IDE and Northbridge OR on-board sound have to be checked for example, there is no other way of checking these.

Jakey boy 21:37 07 Jan 04

Thanks again. I'll just have to be patient and wait 'til I have the other components!

Gaz 25 21:59 07 Jan 04

I guess you will.

I am sure some others will reply, its a little deserted tonight.

woodchip 22:14 07 Jan 04

The PSU will not work without a load on it i.e. CPU etc as it's what's called a switching Transformer. So without some means of putting that load on you cannot test it. What you mean is a bench test and it’s not worth buying the equipment just to test a MOBO

Jakey boy 22:18 07 Jan 04

I'll just be patient until I have the rest of the gear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…