New mobo - now no display

Nicaragua 21:50 31 Jan 04

I replaced an 5 year old MSI mobo (beacsse it broke) with a Gigayte GA-5AX - similar age, but new and unused. PC back together but there is no display, even if I use a boot disk (or a blank hard drive). Video card is ATI Rage Pro Turbo.

mobo does not have on-board gaphics. Am I missing something .... ?

muddle 22:20 31 Jan 04

when you install a new mobo I believe it bleeps if there is an error, and If you count the bleeps it will tell you what is wrong (look in the manual or download manual if necessary, think along the lines of morse code!). Alternatively the have you checked if the mobo has onboard graphics? if not it may need a seperate graphics card in order to display anything? perhaps...just an idea...

DieSse 23:20 31 Jan 04

Does it do anything at all - bleep? - fans turn? - front panel lights come on? - drives come on? - any lights on the motherboard that should come on - do they?

Have you carefully checked how you have fitted the connections from the front panel?

DieSse 23:21 31 Jan 04

Also - how sure are the old motherboard was dead - did it have the same symptoms you have now - if it did, maybe it wasn't the motherboard?

Nicaragua 23:59 31 Jan 04

The old mobo was dead insofar as the fan lug broke off. Now there is 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps - wich apparently means it does not like the video card.

DieSse 00:13 01 Feb 04

Have you tried another graphics card then?

Also try doing a CMOS clear - with the special jumper for this - or by taking out the battery for at least two hours.

Nicaragua 00:28 01 Feb 04

Yes, have set the special jumper - if I had another graphics card, I would have tried it - ss no, I ha ve not tried one.

DieSse 00:31 01 Feb 04

Well, I think this is your next step (trying a different grahics card).

I'm presuming you have already taken it out and put it back in again, to ensure it's fully seated in the slot.

It's always possible there's some incompatability between the graphics card and the motherboard AGP type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…