New Mobo - in a HP PC

adamc 12:08 30 Sep 07

I have a HP PC that I have already recased, and am going to buy some DirectX 10 Graphics Cards, some nice RAM, and an Abit Fatality SLI S775 Mobo. But my question, windows says that I should reinstall once I have got my new motherboard. Can I use the recovery discs from my HP system to reinstall XP, or do I need to buy Vista/ XP yada yada yada.

citadel 14:57 30 Sep 07

a new motherboard counts as a new pc so you will need a oem os of your choice.

AI33 15:30 30 Sep 07

Around a year ago my sister brought her compaq laptop over. It had a lot of problems and would not load windows. Unfortunately she forgot to bring her restore disk and the F11 function would not work.

I put my HP restore disk in and it loaded windows. I downloaded the drivers from the hp/Compaq site and loaded them onto her laptop. Everything worked fine.

I think HP give two types of restore disk. One is an OEM version windows with the drivers. The other is just a image of that particular laptop.

I might have gotten away with it because it was an OEM disk and it matched a HP hard drive.

So I think that if you are using the same hard drive and the disk is OEM. Then you might just be able to do it.

You can always try;-)

AI33 15:31 30 Sep 07

forgot to mention

My sisters laptop had a celeron cpu and the OEM restore disk was for my AMD cpu laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…