New memory stick not working

gclatworthy 12:31 12 Sep 07

Just tried to install a new 1gb memory stick into my Dell Optiplex. Checked with crucial and it should work, however on installing and starting up, windows won't start. Can't run it alongside the old stick which was just 256mb as they are incompatible - computer beeps like mad!! On start up I am given the option to accept new memory F1 or run utility F2. On pressing F2 and checking memory it tells me the stick is only 32mb not 1gb. Can anyone advise or is this defunct and I should return it.

Did you buy it from cucial?
if so contact them for advice,it may involve swapping the stick in different slots or sending back for a replacement.

bof:) 15:57 12 Sep 07

also how many beeps at startup and do you know make of motherboard?

wee eddie 16:53 12 Sep 07

+ What OS & Processor,

Did you buy from Crucial or just use them to get the RAM Specification.

gclatworthy 17:36 12 Sep 07

No I didn't buy it from Crucial just used it for spec info. I have no idea what the motherboard is, can't find this information anywhere, board itself just has Dell logo on it and made in china sticker!!!! Can't access it at startup either as set up to bypass system info and go straight into windows. Computer beeps about 5 times with both memory cards installed but doesn't startup at all. I am using Windows XP Pro and Intel 2.26ghz. Hope this makes sense!!

try refunding the ram,redo scan+buy from crucial
The scan ensures compatability,for your machine,
Dont waste anymore time on it.
Your not alone, many people fall into the trap of using cucial scan and buying elsewhere,only to run into problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced