New memory causes crash

Mac101 15:20 27 Feb 05

I am running XP-SP2 on an Athlon XP+ and a Soyo Dragon+. I decided to increase my memory from 1024 by adding a third identical 526 memory stick. Now XP won't start; gets to loading the desktop and then restarts. If I remove any of the memory sticks the problem goes away. As far as I know all my drivers are up to date and I have updated the OS fully.
Any ideas?
Mac

Technotiger 15:39 27 Feb 05

Hi, have you tried juggling with the three mem-sticks, ie swopping them around within the slots.
Just a thought as all else appears to be ok.

Cheers.

Mac101 16:03 27 Feb 05

Thanks TT - tried all possible combinations - works with any two; add the third (in any position) and kerpow - crash - loud swearing and abuse!!
Mac

Technotiger 16:07 27 Feb 05

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps - just perhaps - you need to put in a Pair of mem-sticks not just the one, I know some mobo's do need them in pairs. Though I would have thought that yours might not have - cos it does take up to 3gig I believe.

Cheers.

Mac101 16:12 27 Feb 05

Only got three memory slots; works fine with one filled or two but three - disaster.
Thanks for input.

Technotiger 16:18 27 Feb 05

Ah well - I tried. Dunno what else to suggest.

Cheers.

I was about to give up, but - what about changing one stick for another twice the size? Then you would still only be using two sticks, or go the whole hog (as us Hampshire-ites say) and get two sticks of twice the size?

Mac101 16:28 27 Feb 05

$ound$ £ike a good idea but I wa$ hoping for a le$$ wa££et inten$ive $o£ution.

Technotiger 16:33 27 Feb 05

:-)) Good luck.

Cheers.

groundhog 16:53 27 Feb 05

For some information on this problem have a read of the following back issue on the PCMech site click here

It would appear that the Dragon+ (Mobo) has a problem when you load the three mem slots and that some people have cured it by altering the voltage to the ram (But not all).

Best of luck

Michael_R 16:56 27 Feb 05

Hi Maybe this will help
Have you looked on the click here web site? It will specify the type and maximum memory you can use.
I found the following based on your limited ifo., from their site.
Information on the Soyo SY-K7V DRAGON+ motherboard

* 184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
* Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
* DDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC1600 and PC2100
* Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
* Graphics Support: AGP 4X
* Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
* Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
* Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
* USB Support: 1.x Compliant
In this example you should only use PC 1600 or PC2100,(generally not a good idea to have a mis match) with non ECC and unbuffered.

Mac101 17:14 27 Feb 05

Thanks to groundhog and Michael R - I will try your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…