NEW Memory added but PC shuts down

Can anyone help please, basically i have a Packard Bell Imedia PC which i bought just over a year ago, It's running Windows XP Home and currently has 256MB Ram Installed. The Maximum it can take apparently is 2048MB but every time i add another 256MB it keeps shutting the PC down and i've tried 2 different chips. However when i take out my original 256MB and just have the new one it it works fine but for some reason it won't let me add this extra 256MB and keeps shutting PC down, anyone any ideas please ?

Many Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 18:40 15 Sep 04

How many memory slots? If more than two, try alternating the positions of the two modules.

Gaz W 18:47 15 Sep 04

Have you installed the correct type of memory? I would assume that, given the age of your PC, it's DDR. Make sure you have the right type of memory installed:

PC2100 (DDR 266) - 266MHz
PC2700 (DDR 333) - 333MHz
PC3200 (DDR 400) - 400MHz

If you have installed DDR 333 or 266 and your FSB is 400MHz (and the speed of your other memory is 400MHz) I assume your motherboard would be overclocking this memory, and what could be happening is it's overheating, causing your system to restart.

Do you have any more info about your PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…