new mem Q for ed-o

chrisjohn 17:24 28 Oct 06

ok checked mem

ok removed mem cover found 1x mem pcb which says 256mb,i thought their should be 2,as i have 512mb .if i buy 2 x 512mb pcb where does the 2nd one go?

chrisjohn 17:44 28 Oct 06

refresh

ed-0 18:13 28 Oct 06

I'll go and have a quick shufftie at mine.

ed-0 18:18 28 Oct 06

On this series of note book. You have the external memory dimm ( 1 x 256Mb ) that is located under the "T" plate at the rear. As you have found. Pll at the white lgs and the memory flips, ready to be taken out.

The other memory dimm ( number 2 of 256Mb ) is located under the keyboard. Refer to the manual in the other post to get access to that dimm. It's section 5.13

hope that helps.

ed-0 18:19 28 Oct 06

" The other memory dimm ( number 2 of 256Mb ) is located under the keyboard. Refer to the manual in the other post to get access to that dimm. It's section 5.13 "

should read

The internal memory dimm ( number 2 of 256Mb ) is located under the keyboard. Refer to the manual in the other post to get access to that dimm. It's section 5.13

chrisjohn 18:38 28 Oct 06

i will have ago,is their a mem card reader,for this machine,as the slot on the lhs is blank,if so where do i get one.

ed-0 18:47 28 Oct 06

Thats a PCMCIA slot.

this is just one of a large selection you can find. click here

It depends if you want it for one specific type of card or if you would like a good cross range of cards to be read.

chrisjohn 18:51 28 Oct 06

last Q,did you change your mem ,under the keyboard yourself,was it easy to do,?

chrisjohn 19:07 28 Oct 06

the link for maplins,showed at 30 in 1 card,does this just slot ino the lhs of pc which is blank ?

ed-0 19:20 28 Oct 06

I haven't changed the mem on this model.

To be perfectly frank, unless you are quite confident, the removal of the keyboard can be tricky. See section 5.18 notes 6 to 10.

I have just took mine off, but I have worked with computers a lot. following the instructions it as easy. The other memory dimm is just under the keyboard and comes out like the other.

I would say if you are confident, go ahead. If you are unsure just expand the external memory.

You can, of course, increase the amount of memory you have available now by reducing the amount allocated to the graphics chip. I am not into gaming, so I have set my graphics down to 32Mb, giving 480Mb to the system

ed-0 19:27 28 Oct 06

" the link for maplins,showed at 30 in 1 card,does this just slot ino the lhs of pc which is blank ? "

Yes. That is a type and 2 card bus slot. So it will take a 16 bit or 32 bit pcmcia card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac