new mcafee disk..unistall old version first?

bludywoman 12:36 28 Jun 06

Hi...just looking for a quick answer here....My mcafee security suite expired a couple of days ago. It was cheaper to buy the new version elsewhere rather than upgrade through mcafee itself. Now, do I totally uninstall mcafee off my pc before putting this new disk in...or do I just put this latest version in and it will automatically sort itself out when installing? I will need to re-register this one..as it will have a different 'key' than my current version. I only ask this, as I had a situation on a previous pc whereby I had this with NAV..and the two versions conflicted!...any ideas?..Alison (p.s. I am a basic user.....cant do all the fancy checking!!)

Graham ® 13:00 28 Jun 06

All I can tell you is that normally the installation disk will inspect your PC for previous versions.

In any case, a System Restore point should be set so you can revert to your existing set-up.

Are there no hints with the packaging?

bludywoman 13:05 28 Jun 06

Hi Graham, no...I bought the disk new off ebay, half the price as there was no box.... but will do as you suggest. Alison

Graham ® 13:28 28 Jun 06

Let's hope the seller hasn't already registered it.

big bloke66 21:24 28 Jun 06

if this helps i always uninstall the old version
in add and remove programs first, then install the new version.
Then register it.
There can be complications if some of the old version is left in the registry but this can be solved by going to there help site.click here.
As Graham ® says hope the seller hasn't registered it first.
hope this helped bb66.

big bloke66 21:46 28 Jun 06

If you have trouble i found thisclick here

Enoch 06:15 29 Jun 06

Norton actually tells you to uninstal the old version first when one instals the latest version, BUT after installing you MUST go online to bring the new version up-to-date

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…