"New Mail" icon remains

DIYgirl 10:56 09 Mar 06

I'm using outlook express and Win XP.

When I receive new emails the envelope icon appears in the notification area down in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

When I read those emails the envelope icon disappearsa.

However, when I move the spam messages unread to the deleted items folder, the icon remains. It stays tehre even after I've emptied the deleted items folder. I can only clear it by closing down OE and restarting it.

Is there any way to make this icon disappear once the messages have been sent to the deleted items folder? Or is this just one of those irritating little quirks I have to put up with?

Thanks, all.

watchful 11:48 09 Mar 06

You could try right-clicking the notification area...unlock the taskbar...Properties...notification area...customize, then tick 'New Mail' icon to 'Hide when inactive'. If that helps.
Re-lock taskbar when finished.

yabadabado 11:54 09 Mar 06

I get this problem, i found that happens when i "read" e-mail before outlook express has finished its current e-mail check.
If i wait for it to finish then read the emails, it goes away.

MESH Support 13:31 09 Mar 06

Having about half dozen mail boxes open I get the same problem. It seems to forget which box it's monitoring and gives me an almost random notification sometimes.

To get rid of my problem I just right-click on a random email, click Mark un-read, then right-click again and click on mark read. Seems to clear it till it happens again.

Davey

DIYgirl 11:13 10 Mar 06

Thanks for those suggestions. I've tried not reading the emails until they're all downloaded, but that didn't work; I'll try changing the icon properties as watchful suggested. Hope it works, and thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced