NEW LAPTOP - WHAT SECURITY

5starred 10:18 16 Mar 07

My niece has just bought a laptop which came with Norton on a month trial. What I would like to do is make sure she has adequate security in place. Can anyone recommend the best things to run?

Technotiger 10:24 16 Mar 07

Hi, you will get lots of suggestions here, but I use the following, have never had any security problems, and I am on-line every day.

AVG - Anti-virus from click here (free).
Ad-Aware SE Personal - from click here (free).
Kerio Personal Firewall - from click here (download and install the Free 30day trial - you can then continue to use this after the 30days in its Free mode, which is still excellent.

wee eddie 10:24 16 Mar 07

AVG, Zone Alarm, Ad-aware and Defender.

All free. Many of us have our particular favourites. As a young lady of immaculate taste, she is unlikely to visiting the doubtful sites that us boys! do, so that should be sufficient.

Technotiger 10:25 16 Mar 07

PS - I don't like Norton, and I believe my view is shared by many on the Forum.

Legolas 10:25 16 Mar 07

personally I do not like Norton it slows your system down, well that is my experience.

There are many free anti-virus and firewalls out there I run zone alarm free edition firewall and AVG free edition anti-virus and have been well protected with this set up. If you are on a wireless network you should set security for that click here for info

Legolas 10:28 16 Mar 07

When I viewed this thread a few minutes ago there was no replies when I compose and post my reply wee eddie has replied and Technotiger has replied twice with links. I must be very slow ;-)

Technotiger 10:29 16 Mar 07

Another PS - just make sure that she follows the rule of NEVER opening suspicious emails, especially those with attachments or unexpected emails or those from unknown sources.

Legolas 10:31 16 Mar 07

5starred As you will see there are differences in what flavour of security people prefer but where we all agree so far is NO NORTON

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 16 Mar 07

Firewall (one only
ZoneAlarm click here
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 click here
Sygate click here
Kerio click here

Anti Virus :- (one only)
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus

Antispyware
Spywareblaster click here as a blocker
Windows Defender click here as a realtime scanner
Adaware click here as a back up scanner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant