New laptop, Vista, speedtouch broadband - HELP!

Cr0w01 01:21 16 Dec 08

Hey, I bought a new laptop, an ACER Aspire 6930. I don't know a huge amount about computers but I instantly tried to plug in my orange broadband speedtouch modem and the CD to activate it. However, whenever I click on "install" I just get up a screen about turning off firewalls!

The thing is, I've shut off my firewalls, don't have a virus protector installed yet... what else does it want from me?

Do I need an updated CD for Orange speedtouch? As this one dates back to 2006?

Also, how hard is Vista to connect to other wireless networks? I'm tempted to take the laptop back to the shop and swap it for something with XP.

Do I need to do this before it's too late?

Please help a total PC novice!!

birdface 08:26 16 Dec 08

Not sure about Orange.I am with Virginmedia and if you are using an ethernet connection just switch the modem off for 10 seconds and then switch it back on again.It should then work without using the CD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:49 16 Dec 08

Steps to install the SpeedTouch modem on your Windows vista computer using the CD v 1_0709.
click here

speed touch manual setup click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…