New laptop using Fat32 Why?

geewis357 22:32 19 Jan 05

Hi folks,

I have been provided with a brand new Acer Travel Mate 2700 and the spec is absolutly Ace (pardon the pun) but upon closer inspection I find its using Fat32 rather than NTFS, I know I can convert to Ntfs with no probs and I would have to format and re install back to Fat32

What should I do?
OS = XP Pro

Jeffers22 23:17 19 Jan 05

Leave it as FAT32 unless you have a pressing need for the things that NTFS can do such as deal with muti-gigabyte files. I have never seen the need for NTFS for most uses and users, it just makes it harder to recover from a disaster. If you are on a corporate LAN all the time it would possibly be a different story because of the extra security of the file system, but by the same token you would have people dedicated to support when things go pear shaped.

geewis357 23:26 19 Jan 05

Thanks Jeffers22
but with studying at uni I will soon be contenplating networking and using ntfs permitions, also networking at home with my desktop using ntfs is causing probs

User-312386 23:28 19 Jan 05

If you want to convert to NTFS. Look below

Click start RUN

Now type "cmd" (without the quotes)

Now type VOL C:

You will now see the disc serial number, make a note of this

Now the computer will ask for that serial and ask 2 questions to be answered yes.

Windows will then re-boot and take a few minutes to clean up. DO NOT touch the mouse or keyboard in that time.

No files will be lost.

geewis357 23:33 19 Jan 05

All that is appreciated and welcomed but my firsed question was should I do, change or not

GaT7 23:35 19 Jan 05

Have to enquired with the retailer from where you bought the laptop? If that's not possible, enquire with the person/organisation who provided you with the laptop. Or if that's not a possibility either, ask Acer directly click here, who should be able to enlighten you. They have a Tech support contact number, 0870 853 1000, or you could opt for email contact. G

geewis357 23:40 19 Jan 05

Hi Crossbow 7
I should have though of that my self, Thats what I shall do tomorrow

With thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…